ws-users mailing list archives

From "Petersen, Jennifer" <Jennifer.Peter...@cbsa-asfc.gc.ca>
Subject RE: Client side timeout?
Date Tue, 21 Feb 2006 20:56:35 GMT
I'm limited in what I can do because of J2EE/Websphere/Corporate standards. The request is
part of a global transaction running on an applciation server thread in Websphere. As well
there are issues accessing "container managed resources"on application threads.

Bottom line is I need an exectue that does not block forever. seems to me that this would
be the norm and an execute that waits for data foever the exception. no?

So I am wondering if  there is  technical or spec reason for not supporting it or is it just
oversight?
ie) what would be involved to add this feature.

thanks.

--
Jennifer

-----Original Message-----
From: John Buren Southerland [mailto:john@southerland-consulting.com]
Sent: February 21, 2006 2:54 PM
To: xmlrpc-user@ws.apache.org
Subject: Re: Client side timeout?

Jennifer,
I have to do it now with a thread implementing a sort of sigalarm, I don't see any other way
to do it.
Why can you not use another thread?

On Tue, 2006-02-21 at 14:13 -0500, Petersen, Jennifer wrote:

I've searched high and low and can't seem to find a way to set a client side timeout on a
request.

My requirement is to return with an error when a response to a request is not returned within
our SLA (say 2 seconds). Note that I cannot manage threads nor can I control this at the service
level (I don't own the server code).

I know this question has been asked before but I don't see answers/recommendations, other
than a suggestion to

use commons HttpClient. Is this the recommended approach? any sample code, hint? anyone? :)

thanks.

--

Jennifer