ws-users mailing list archives

From "Volkar, John" <John.Vol...@McKesson.com>
Subject Bandwidth/rate limiting XML-RPC responses on a per method basis
Date Wed, 15 Feb 2006 13:21:34 GMT
I have a method that returns a multi-megabyte byte[].  (This is fine, it
was all in memory anyway; I don't care about the streaming extensions at
this time.)  Right now, when called ,it attempts to use any available
bandwidth to "burp" the response back as fast as possible.  This leads
to spikes in the network traffic.

I want to throttle the network usage down (rate limit it to say 100kbps)
for *this one method call only* (there are other methods where I want
the response to come back as fast as possible).  I'm using the built-in
WebServer and XmlRpcClient.

So, two questions:
1) What is the best mechanism to achieve this throttling?
2) Has anyone ever done this, or thought about this?

Thoughts and ideas on where to start is appreciated.

Regards,
John Volkar

John Volkar - Senior Software Engineer
McKesson APS Research & Development

Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use
of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any
unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended
recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original
message.