ws-users mailing list archives

From Jochen Wiedmann <jochen.wiedm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: XML-RPC extensions for NAT traversal
Date Sat, 20 May 2006 18:59:37 GMT
Adam Taft wrote:

> This really doesn't have anything to do with XmlRpc but more to do with
> TCP/IP in general.

Yes, and no. Yes: A simple SSH tunnel from the XML-RPC would do. Indeed,
that's what I'd recommend, if possible. No: XML-RPC is basically a single
HTTP request. For NAT traversal, I think it would be possible to map the
single HTTP request into two HTTP requests, which the XML-RPC "server" would
send to the client. The first HTTP request would ask for the XML-RPC
request, the second HTTP request would send the response.

In Version 3 of Apache XML-RPC the transport is clearly separated from the
request/response handling. Indeed, it should be relatively easy to achieve
the above scenario.

Jochen