ws-users mailing list archives

From John Wilson <...@wilson.co.uk>
Subject Re: XML-RPC extensions for NAT traversal
Date Sat, 20 May 2006 11:15:05 GMT

On 19 May 2006, at 15:55, Gustavo García Bernardo wrote:

> Hi,
>

> Are there some kind of XML-RPC protocol “extension” allowing a XML-
> RPC server behind a NAT/FW to receive requests?  I’m thinking in
> some kind of permanent TCP connection, established from server side
> (natted), and inside this connection could be transmited XML-RPC
> requests to the natted server.

I have used Jabber-RPC to solve this problem. Jabber-RPC is basically
XML-RPC  over the XMMP protocol. I used Google's GTalk Jabber
service. It has the advantage that the server and the client can be
behind different NAT routers.

I'm not sure of the availability of Java implementations. I wrote an
implementation for Groovy (Groovy is a dynamic language which runs in
the JVM and integrates seamlessly with Java code). You can find
details at http://groovy.codehause.org (The site is recovering from a
major crash at the moment - normal service should be resumed at the
beginning of next week).

John Wilson
The Wilson Partnership
web http://www.wilson.co.uk