ws-users mailing list archives

From Jimisola Laursen <li...@jimisola.com>
Subject Sending large payloads
Date Thu, 27 Jul 2006 18:26:41 GMT

Hi!

I am thinking of using XML-RPC 3.0 to "upload" a file from client to server.
Would want to remove a limit on the actual file size. Is this possible and
if so how?
Enabling streaming alone won't be enough unless I missed out on a nifty
feature.

Going through XML-RPC datatypes including the ones available in when vendor
extensions are enabled doesn't seem provide a solution other than byte[],
but this would mean that would have to be multiple calls that the server
would have to keep state information.

I would prefer a solution where InputStream/InputStreamReader are extended
data types   (this would then allow for use of different sub-class
implementations of e.g. InputStream):

 - the client makes multiple calls to InputStream/InputStreamReader until
ready/done. Perhaps there should be a default value for how much data that
is sent at a time not to make client run out of memory.

 - the server then accepts the data and creates an InputStream/Reader on its
end. Perhaps there should be a setting for how much data the server keeps in
memory before it caches it to local disc

Like I said I might have missed something. If not, I think this would be a
welcome feature.

Any comments/suggestions?

Regards,
Jimisola