ws-users mailing list archives

From "Jochen Wiedmann" <jochen.wiedm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: About the benefit
Date Thu, 27 Jul 2006 07:57:53 GMT
On 7/27/06, Rutger Heijmerikx <rutger@checksum.org> wrote:

> Apart from that, isn't it also more lightweight than for example SOAP?

As someone who is currently developing a specification for a SOAP
based service: Much more lightweight, both at runtime and at
development time. OTOH, SOAP nowadays offers you very nice tool
support. An extreme example: A tool sold by my employer allows you to
create a fully blown Ajax-GUI by simply using web services and without
a single line of Java or JavaScript code. For example, all buttons are
mapped to web service calls, which you do select from a list.

Personally, I do prefer XML-RPC, in particular for the initial steps.
However, for a publicly available application with more than, say, 10
operations, I would nowadays recommend SOAP.

Jochen

--
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the
majority, it is time to pause and reflect.