ws-users mailing list archives

From Andreas Veithen <andreas.veit...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Attribute-Value Normalization of Axiom
Date Sun, 19 Feb 2012 11:14:41 GMT
The XML spec only describes what an XML parser must do before passing
an attribute value to the application. However, it doesn't specify how
an XML serializer should handle an attribute value received from the
application and that is not normalized. Axiom doesn't specify that
either. It simply passes the value to the StAX implementation. Your
example shows that the StAX implementation (Woodstox I guess) chooses
to serialize the newline character as a character reference (&#xa;).
Probably the rationale is that this ensures that the receiving
application gets exactly the same string as the one passed to the
serializer, i.e. it maximizes the round-trippability for attribute
values.

Andreas