ws-wsif-dev mailing list archives

From Glen Daniels <gdani...@macromedia.com>
Subject RE: [wsif] generic type mapping [Re: bug 16485 [BeanDeserializer error when XML element starts with a capital letter]]
Date Thu, 20 Feb 2003 13:14:52 GMT

Hi ant:

> The problem with option 2 is that its WSDL driven, but the
> WSIF client may
> not have control over the WSDL, so WSIF still wont work with
> all that .Net
> WSDL with the capital letters.

I still don't get this.  If you're generating your JavaBeans from WSDL, you have, guaranteed,
the right schema information (unless the WSDL is bad!).  That's all you need to generate the
required metadata so you can happily serialize and deserialize all day (doo dah, doo dah...).
 Maybe I misunderstood option 2 - I'd thought you meant programatically, not by adding information
to the WSDL.

> So I think added to the original list of options should be:
>
> 4 - design a WSIF specific way to add the required metadata
> info to the
> bean class and get the WSIF AXIS provider to somehow get that
> from the bean
> and tell the AXIS BeanDeserializer about it.
>
> For this metadata perhaps we could create new WSIF classes
> called TypeDesc
> and Field and a WSIF schema tool that creates beans from a
> schema which
> include a static TypeDesc field initialised with the required
> metadata.
> AXIS has already done that so we could just nick the existing
> AXIS classes
> and change axis to wsif in their package name. ;)

Or we could start moving forward at an attempt to merge the two projects into one....

> I'd dispute the claim that "patching that to solve one
> problem will not
> help" - yes it will help, tolerating variations in the case of the 1st
> character fixes this particular problem completely.

Tell you what.  I'm OK with putting in the patch IF a) we don't make this the default behavior,
but have a configuration switch which turns it on ("laxDeserialization" or something), and
b) the other committers vote +1 on it.  Putting it in will perhaps solve this particular problem
(though I still don't understand how you could possibly deal with xml like <foo-bar>
or with attributes), but it will cause situations that were working before in Axis to break
(both "name" and "Name").

--Glen