ws-wsif-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Russell <w...@paulrussell.org>
Subject Re: Pluggable WSIFServiceFactories
Date Wed, 28 Jan 2004 20:08:37 GMT
Having taken this to work and tested it, I hit a couple of problems.
That'll teach me to preempt myself!

Firstly, because when I did this first time around, I built the .jar
from inside WebSphere Studio, the wsif.properties file was missing.
This meant that despite the WSIFProperties implementation only loading
the first properties file it finds, the initial implementation worked.
Because I used the .jar I built at home today, the wsif.properties file
in my application wasn't loaded (wsif.jar is in my application server's
'lib' directory, and therefore the default properties are higher in the
ClassLoader tree than the one in my application). I've made two changes
as a result of this:

* I've modified the included wsif.properties to remove the
wsif.servicefactory property, since it points to a factory which isn't
in the core distribution.
* I've now made a change to WSIFProperties so that it merges the
changes from all the wsif.properties files it finds in the classpath.
For example, if you have a context ClassLoader with a wsif.properties
file, any properties in this file which have the same key as one in the
default file will replace the default value. Can anyone think of any
security implications of this? I'm aware that this doesn't quite square
with the Java2 ClassLoading pattern.

At the moment, the WSIFProperties implementation only has a single
cache of properties values, which means that there is likely to be a
problem if WSIF is used in multiple applications in the same server.
I'm going to make an additional change to make WSIFProperties cache
values per context ClassLoader, which should sort this out, and keep
performance high.

I'm aware that these changes are rather more substantial than the one I
originally proposed, so I totally understand if you'd rather stay away
from this patch. Let me know what you think.

Paul