ws-wsif-dev mailing list archives

From Jos van den Oever <jos.oe...@gsf.de>
Subject Re: Invocation by directly providing XML message
Date Fri, 17 Jun 2005 06:12:58 GMT
On Thursday 16 June 2005 19:18, Aleksander Slominski wrote:
> hi Jos,
>
> in ancient times (few years ago) there was big push to hide XML and to
> do aggressive XML-Java type-mapping.
>
> now it seems we entered more XML as-it-is friendly era and definitely it
> is one of the places where i think WSIF needs improvements - it should
> be easy to send XML to any service described in WSDL *regardless* where
> it is and what is its binding alas WSIF2 is designed not around XML
> Infoset but around Java types that are used internally to make
> invocations ...
>
> still i think it should be possible to extend WSIFMessage API to allow
> passing DOM object directly as a part (WSIFMessage.setObjectPart(name,
> Element)) or even better as i was experimenting with WSIF API n XSUL2:
> make WSIFMessage implement DOM::Element or in general terms XML Element
> Information Item so you send any XML inside WSIFMessage ...
>
> alek

Hello Alek,

Yes, I never really understood the obsession with this mapping. It's so
aggressive that in e.g. Axis and WSIF it seems impossible to simply provide
all input as XML. WS are all about sending and receiving XML, so any
implementation should first start with implementing a layer for formatting
the available XML to the specific binding. The mapping layer should come on
top of that and should be independent of the WS invokation. It should only
depend on the format description which is usually XML Schema.

So, to me, a sensible WSIF API looks something like this:

Operation operation;
Input input;
Node part1node;
Node part2node;
input.setPart(part1name, part1node);
input.setPart(part2name, part2node);
operation.setInput(input);
operation.invoke();
Output output = operation.getOutput();
List faults = operation.getFaults();

In the absence of a good API like this, I'm considering of rolling my own SOAP
invocation layer like this. It will be simpler and insightful (although more
limited) than trying to bypass the mapping in WSIF.

Cheers, Jos