www-announce mailing list archives

From Sally Khudairi ...@apache.org>
Subject Not A Mirage: The Apache Software Foundation's official number of projects and initiatives "grows overnight" with census adjustment
Date Mon, 12 Jan 2015 03:25:37 GMT
>> this announcement is available online at http://s.apache.org/fs5

110 sub-projects now added to the Foundation's official activity count

Over the past 15 years, The Apache Software Foundation has been going from strength to strength
[1]. It's truly impressive to see all that our global community has achieved.

In documenting the ASF's developments, I've always measured our growth across two metrics:
people and projects.

The people behind Apache is a volunteer community comprising 588 individual Members [2] and
4,166 Committers [3] collaborating across six continents. We're a true 24/7 global operation.

Up until now, I have stated that there were more than 200 projects and initiatives at the
ASF. To me, "projects and initiatives" = software projects (Top-Level Projects (TLPs) + podlings
undergoing development at the Apache Incubator + Apache Labs (our innovation "sandbox" to
test technical concepts), plus various community initiatives such as ApacheCon. I never counted
sub-projects as part of that census, as we always had just a few handfuls scattered amongst
a small number of TLPs.

I was stunned when ASF Member Daniel Gruno recently informed me that my "200+" figure was
wrong, and provided an updated tally of our initiatives as detailed on http://projects.apache.org.

This audit surprised me, as it had shown that we did not have a "few handfuls" of sub-projects
as I had projected, but rather *110* sub-projects! They had grown into an entity unto itself
that must be recognized in our official count.

As such, the ASF appears to have grown overnight with the addition of sub-projects, although
they were there all along. As of today, we have:

- 160 Top-Level Projects
- 110 sub-projects (sub-projects of existing TLPs)
- 36 podlings undergoing development in the Apache Incubator [4]
- 39 initiatives in the Apache Labs [5]

So there are currently 345 Open Source software projects and initiatives at the ASF. Add to
that the ASF's special committees and activities such as Infrastructure, Travel Assistance,
Security Team, Legal Affairs, Brand Management, and ApacheCon: we've exceeded 350.

With this knowledge, I stand corrected, even more impressed, and have adjusted our records
accordingly. Thanks again, Daniel!

Join me in celebrating our amazing community –three cheers for Apache!

--Sally Khudairi, Vice President Marketing & Publicity

[1] https://blogs.apache.org/foundation/entry/the_apache_software_foundation_celebrates2
[2] http://people.apache.org/~curcuru/timeline/members.html
[3] http://people.apache.org/committer-index.html
[4] http://incubator.apache.org/