www-announce mailing list archives

From Sally Khudairi ...@apache.org>
Subject The Apache Software Foundation Announces Apache™ HBase™ v1.0
Date Tue, 24 Feb 2015 11:50:09 GMT
>> this announcement is available online at http://s.apache.org/zW

Stable version of Open Source, distributed Big Data store for Apache Hadoop features improved
performance, ease of use, new availability guarantees, and future release compatibility.

Forest Hill, MD –24 February 2015– The Apache Software Foundation (ASF), the all-volunteer
developers, stewards, and incubators of more than 350 Open Source projects and initiatives,
announced today the availability of Apache™ HBase™ v1.0, the distributed, scalable, database
for Apache™ Hadoop™ and HDFS™.

"Apache HBase v1.0 marks a major milestone in the project's development," said Michael Stack,
Vice President of Apache HBase. "It is a monumental moment that the army of contributors who
have made this possible should all be proud of. The result is a thing of collaborative beauty
that also happens to power key, large-scale Internet platforms."

Dubbed the "Hadoop Database", HBase is used on top of Apache Hadoop and HDFS (Hadoop Distributed
File System) for random, real-time read/write access for Big Data (billions of rows X millions
of columns) across clusters of commodity hardware. HBase is used by Apple, Facebook, FINRA,
Flipboard, Flurry, Pinterest, RocketFuel, Salesforce, Xiaomi, and Yahoo!, among many other
organizations.

Apache HBase has also fostered a healthy ecosystem of projects that run on top of it, such
as Apache Phoenix, a SQL layer over HBase, and OpenTSDB, a time series database that uses
HBase as its backing store.

"Medium- and high- scale services at hundreds of enterprises and some of the largest Internet
companies today are backed by Apache HBase," explained Andrew Purtell, member of the Apache
HBase Project Management Committee. "Chances are when using your computer or mobile device
you interact with a system built with HBase many times daily without ever knowing it. The
HBase 1.0 release appropriately acknowledges a maturity already achieved by the Apache HBase
community and software both, and is a great occasion to learn more about HBase, how it can
help you solve your scale data challenges, and the growing ecosystem of Open Source and commercial
software that chooses HBase as foundation."

Apache HBase v1.0 is the result of 7 years of development, and reflects more than 1,500 changes
and upgrades over the previous major release, Apache HBase 0.98.0. Notable new features include:

 - Improved performance without sacrificing stability;
 - Introduction of new APIs and reorganization of select client-side APIs;
 - Read availability using timeline consistent region replicas for new availability guarantees;

 - Online configuration change to enable reloading a subset of the server configuration without
restarting the region servers; and
 - New look, enhanced usability, and radically revamped documentation.

(Please see the accompanying technical fact sheet at https://blogs.apache.org/hbase/entry/start_of_a_new_era
 for details on new functionality).

Lars Hofhansl, Principal Architect at Salesforce.com, and member of the HBase Project Management
Committee, said, "Over 13,000 JIRA issues were filed to get HBase where it is now. Going forward
we have a clear compatibility story between major and minor versions."

"This is a very exciting moment for Apache HBase, and goes to show how far we have come as
a community in stabilizing and maturing Apache HBase", said Francis Liu, Development Lead
for Apache HBase at Yahoo. "HBase is an integral part of our technology stack powering numerous
critical offstage processing use cases across our business in online advertising, search,
communication, content personalization and targeting, and social, mobile and emerging products.
Today, we operate some of the largest HBase clusters across a 3,000 server footprint, and
look forward to working with the community with a stable release as a base to scale individual
HBase clusters to millions of regions soon."

"Hearty congratulations to the HBase community," said Ishan Chhabra, Lead of all things HBase
at Rocketfuel Inc. "Apache HBase already powers our critical online applications and data
pipelines over thousands of machines globally, and the community's relentless focus on stability
and performance gives us the confidence to continue making it an integral part of our data
stack as we scale to 10,000+ machines."

"Apache HBase is a critical data storage system at Pinterest, where we run it across thousands
of nodes doing close to 10 million operations every second," said Raghavendra Prabhu, Head
of Infrastructure at Pinterest. "HBase is the underlying technology behind Pinterest's Zen
graph storage service, which powers key product features like the home feed, messages, notifications,
network news and our interest graph. We are eagerly looking forward to the improvements in
availability and reliability in HBase 1.0 and will continue to work with the community on
improving it for large scale user facing workloads."

"HBase has been the cornerstone of our customer analytics platform Lily since late 2008",
says Steven Noels, CTO of NGDATA. "Granted it was an adventurous choice at that time, but
since then HBase has evolved and matured, reconfirming that choice time and time again. Seeing
1.0 (finally) shipping is a sign of confirmed adoption throughout all layers of the industry,
from internet companies up to (in our case) large financial institutions, telcos and media
companies. We are thankful to be part of such a strong, persistent and vibrant community development
endeavour."
"HBase-1.0.0 is the start of a new era," said Enis Söztutar, HBase v1.0 release manager and
member of the Apache HBase Project Management Committee. "We have marked it as the next stable
version of Apache HBase, and encourage all new users to start using this version."

"There is no rest for the wickedly talented set of contributors who made HBase 1.0," added
Stack. "HBase 2.0 is already taking form in our master branch. Users can look forward to new
orders of read/write and node count scaling and this time around they won't have to wait seven
years on it shipping; HBase 2.0 will be out later this year."

Availability and Oversight
Apache HBase v1.0 is available immediately as a free download from http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/hbase/
As with all Apache products, Apache HBase software is released under the Apache License v2.0,
and is overseen by a self-selected team of active contributors to the project. A Project Management
Committee (PMC) guides the Project's day-to-day operations, including community development
and product releases. For documentation and ways to become involved with Apache HBase, visit
http://hbase.apache.org/ and @HBase on Twitter.

Get Involved!
The HBase community welcomes contributions and participation through various mailing lists
as well as attending face-to-face MeetUps, trainings, and events. Catch Apache HBase in action
at HBaseCon, taking place 7 May 2015 in San Francisco http://hbasecon.com/

About The Apache Software Foundation (ASF)
Established in 1999, the all-volunteer Foundation oversees more than 350 leading Open Source
projects, including Apache HTTP Server --the world's most popular Web server software. Through
the ASF's meritocratic process known as "The Apache Way," more than 500 individual Members
and 4,500 Committers successfully collaborate to develop freely available enterprise-grade
software, benefiting millions of users worldwide: thousands of software solutions are distributed
under the Apache License; and the community actively participates in ASF mailing lists, mentoring
initiatives, and ApacheCon, the Foundation's official user conference, trainings, and expo.
The ASF is a US 501(c)(3) charitable organization, funded by individual donations and corporate
sponsors including Budget Direct, Cerner, Citrix, Cloudera, Comcast, Facebook, Google, Hortonworks,
HP, IBM, InMotion Hosting, iSigma, Matt Mullenweg, Microsoft, Pivotal, Produban, WANdisco,
and Yahoo. For more information, visit http://www.apache.org/ and follow https://twitter.com/TheASF

© The Apache Software Foundation. "Apache", "Apache Hadoop", "Hadoop", "Apache HBase", "HBase",
"Apache HDFS", "HDFS", "Apache Phoenix", "Phoenix", and "ApacheCon", are trademarks of The
Apache Software Foundation. All other brands and trademarks are the property of their respective
owners.

# # #