www-announce mailing list archives

From Sally Khudairi ...@apache.org>
Subject The Apache Software Foundation Announces Apache™ Tajo™ v0.10.0
Date Mon, 09 Mar 2015 10:17:06 GMT
>> this announcement is available online at http://s.apache.org/mwx

Mature, robust, Open Source relational Big Data warehousing solution provides advanced "SQL-on-Hadoop®"
functionality and support.

Forest Hill, MD —9 March 2015— The Apache Software Foundation (ASF), the all-volunteer
developers, stewards, and incubators of more than 350 Open Source projects and initiatives,
announced today the availability of Apache™ Tajo™ v0.10.0, the latest version of the advanced
Open Source data warehousing system in Apache Hadoop®.

Apache Tajo is used for low-latency and scalable ad-hoc queries, online aggregation, and ETL
(extract-transform-load process) on large data sets stored on HDFS (Hadoop Distributed File
System) and other data sources. By supporting SQL standards and leveraging advanced database
techniques, Tajo allows direct control of distributed execution and data flow across a variety
of query evaluation strategies and optimization opportunities.

"Tajo has evolved over the last couple of years into a mature 'SQL-on-Hadoop' engine," said
Hyunsik Choi, Vice President of Apache Tajo. "The improved JDBC driver in this release allows
users to easily access Tajo as if users use traditional RDBMSs. We have verified new JDBC
driver on many commercial BI solutions and various SQL tools. It was easy and works successfully."

Tajo v0.10.0 reflects dozens of new features and improvements, including:

 - Oracle and PostgreSQL catalog store support
 - Direct JSON file support
 - HBase storage integration (allowing users to directly access HBase tables through Tajo)

 - Improved JDBC driver for easier use of JDBC application
 - Improved Amazon S3 support

A complete overview of all new enhancements can be found in the project release notes at https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/tajo/tajo-0.10.0-rc1/relnotes.html

Described as "a dark horse in the race for mass adoption" by GigaOM, Tajo is in use at numerous
organizations worldwide, including Gruter, Korea University, Melon, NASA JPL Radio Astronomy
and Airborne Snow Observatory projects, and SK Telecom for processing Web-scale data sets
in real time.

Byeong Hwa Yun, Project Leader at Melon, said "Congratulations on 0.10.0 release! Melon is
the biggest music streaming service company in S. Korea. We use Tajo as an ETL tool as well
as an analytical processing system. We have experienced that Tajo makes our ETL jobs faster
1.5x-10x than Hive does. Besides, HBase storage integration in this release enables our analytic
pipeline simpler. We hope that Tajo has a large role to play in the Apache Hadoop ecosystem."

"I'm very happy with that Tajo has rapidly developed in recent years," said Jihoon Son, member
of the Apache Tajo Project Management Committee. "One of the most impressive parts is the
improved support on Amazon S3. Thanks to the EMR bootstrap, users can exploit Tajo's advanced
SQL functionalities on AWS with just a few clicks."

Availability and Oversight
Apache Tajo software is released under the Apache License v2.0 and is overseen by a self-selected
team of active contributors to the project. A Project Management Committee (PMC) guides the
Project's day-to-day operations, including community development and product releases. For
downloads, documentation, and ways to become involved with Apache Tajo, visit http://tajo.apache.org/
and https://twitter.com/ApacheTajo

About The Apache Software Foundation (ASF)
Established in 1999, the all-volunteer Foundation oversees more than 350 leading Open Source
projects, including Apache HTTP Server --the world's most popular Web server software. Through
the ASF's meritocratic process known as "The Apache Way," more than 500 individual Members
and 4,500 Committers successfully collaborate to develop freely available enterprise-grade
software, benefiting millions of users worldwide: thousands of software solutions are distributed
under the Apache License; and the community actively participates in ASF mailing lists, mentoring
initiatives, and ApacheCon, the Foundation's official user conference, trainings, and expo.
The ASF is a US 501(c)(3) charitable organization, funded by individual donations and corporate
sponsors including Budget Direct, Cerner, Citrix, Cloudera, Comcast, Facebook, Google, Hortonworks,
HP, IBM, InMotion Hosting, iSigma, Matt Mullenweg, Microsoft, Pivotal, Produban, WANdisco,
and Yahoo. For more information, visit http://www.apache.org/ and follow https://twitter.com/TheASF

# # #

© The Apache Software Foundation. "Apache", "Tajo", "Apache Tajo", "Hadoop", "Apache Hadoop",
and the Apache Tajo logo are registered trademarks or trademarks of The Apache Software Foundation.
All other brands and trademarks are the property of their respective owners.

= = =