www-announce mailing list archives

From Sally Khudairi ...@apache.org>
Subject Apache™ Logging Services™ Project Announces Log4j™ 1 End-Of-Life; Recommends Upgrade to Log4j 2
Date Wed, 05 Aug 2015 10:14:09 GMT
>> this announcement is available online at http://s.apache.org/Wzn

5 August 2015 --The Apache Logging Services™ Project Management Committee (PMC) has announced
that the Log4j™ 1.x logging framework has reached its end of life (EOL) and is no longer
officially supported.

Log4j saw its first release in 1999 and quickly became the most used logging framework ever.
Over the years the project has released several versions of the initial Log4j codebase, and
is now actively developing and maintaining version 2.

In the Log4j 1 lifecycle, there have been 21 Log4j 1 releases; the last one being in 2012.
As of today, there will be no further releases of the Log4j 1 code base. Users are encouraged
to upgrade to Log4j 2.

Apache Log 4j2 features a completely rewritten framework. In addition, it is faster, more
reliable, and much easier to develop and maintain.

"All our volunteer efforts are now going into Log4j 2. Our community has grown again and we
are actively maintaining Log4j 2," explained Christian Grobmeier, Vice President of Apache
Logging Services. "We are so happy with the quality and stability of Log4j 2, we are convinced
it is a fantastic replacement for Log4j 1."

Log4j 2 has had 19 releases thus far, the last 6 being marked as GA/General Availability,
and the latest one being in May 2015.

Availability and Oversight
Apache Logging software is released under the Apache License v2.0 and is overseen by a self-selected
team of active contributors to the project. A Project Management Committee (PMC) guides the
Project's day-to-day operations, including community development and product releases. For
downloads, documentation, and ways to become involved with Apache Log4j, visit http://logging.apache.org/

Q & A from the Apache Logging PMC

Q: Why did you do this?
A. The Log4j 1 code base has had some architectural flaws and the release process is complex,
which is partly why few volunteers are maintaining this code base.

Q: What will happen to old Log4j 1 resources?