www-announce mailing list archives

From Sally Khudairi ...@apache.org>
Subject The Apache Software Foundation announces Apache™ Tajo™ v0.11.0
Date Tue, 27 Oct 2015 02:26:26 GMT
>> this announcement is available online at http://s.apache.org/ZMF

Mature, efficient "SQL-on-Hadoop®" engine used for advanced data warehousing and analysis.

Forest Hill, MD —27 October 2015— The Apache Software Foundation (ASF), the all-volunteer
developers, stewards, and incubators of more than 350 Open Source projects and initiatives,
announced today the availability of Apache™ Tajo™ v0.11.0, the advanced Open Source data
warehousing system in Apache Hadoop®.

Apache Tajo provides the ability to rapidly extract more intelligence from Hadoop deployments,
third party databases, and commercial business intelligence tools. Tajo 0.11.0 reflects numerous
new features and improvements that include:

- Nested record type support
- ORC file support
- Improved ResultSet fetch performance of JDBC and TajoClient
- Tablespace support (similar to those of RDBMS)
- JDBC storage support and projection/filter push down, enabling Tajo to efficiently process
RDBMS tables without ETL
- Multi-query support
- Python UDF/UDFA support

Additionally, Tajo 0.11.0 includes improved join optimization, better query response, and
nearly 350 bug fixes.

"Tajo 0.11.0 represents a very important milestone. It introduced critical features and functions
that let us build out a modern data warehouse system," said Hyunsik Choi, Vice President of
Apache Tajo and Research Director of Gruter Inc. "Especially, query federation and tablespace
features will help enterprise users easily integrate existing databases and NoSQL stores with
Tajo, a Hadoop-based analytical system."

"Congratulations on Apache Tajo 0.11 release. As a leading online and mobile developer of
the popular MMORPG game 'TERA', we process tons of log data to analyze various usage patterns,"
said Sung Min Ahn, head of Platform Development Department at Bluehole. "We adopted Tajo in
our game log analytics system for large scale data processing and Tajo made our works simple
through its direct JSON data format support. Its ANSI SQL support also helped our data analysts
to crunch the big data with no learning curve."

"After we adopted Apache Tajo to replace old Hive setup, the performance and stability of
Tajo led us to expand its use to more mission-critical analysis workloads which we had depended
on the commercial DW solution before. Tajo helps us to maintain our DW system in a more cost-efficient
way," said Byunghwa Yun, R&D Planning Team at Loen Entertainment. "We are interested in
the enhanced HBase tablespace support in Tajo 0.11. Data integration between various storages
would be way easier."

"Wider Planet is the largest DSP company based in Korea. My team has been processing hundreds
of terabytes data everyday with Hadoop and Hive. Thanks to our business growth, the size of
data has been increasing rapidly and we have trouble in processing time and cost of servers,"
said Sudong Chung, CTO of Wider Planet, Inc., and a former Principal program manager at Microsoft
China. "I am glad that we tested Tajo, a promising alternative to Hive. Our test showed significant
improvement in processing time and service reliability. Based on the test result, we are changing
the plan of Hadoop footprint. I would highly recommend testing Tajo to serious Hive users."

"We provide the service that analyzes the usage patterns of electronic powers in houses and
provides household customers with informative analysis results. We have used Apache Tajo for
the analysis," said Young Park, Project Manager of R&D Lab at Encored Technologies. "We
are pleased to see Tajo 0.11.0 release. It makes our jobs even more productive because Tajo
is super fast and provides required features, such as UDF and multi query processing."

Availability and Oversight
Apache Tajo software is released under the Apache License v2.0 and is overseen by a self-selected
team of active contributors to the project. A Project Management Committee (PMC) guides the
Project's day-to-day operations, including community development and product releases. For
downloads, documentation, and ways to become involved with Apache Tajo, visit http://tajo.apache.org/

About The Apache Software Foundation (ASF)
Established in 1999, the all-volunteer Foundation oversees more than 350 leading Open Source
projects, including Apache HTTP Server --the world's most popular Web server software. Through
the ASF's meritocratic process known as "The Apache Way," more than 550 individual Members
and 5,000 Committers successfully collaborate to develop freely available enterprise-grade
software, benefiting millions of users worldwide: thousands of software solutions are distributed
under the Apache License; and the community actively participates in ASF mailing lists, mentoring
initiatives, and ApacheCon, the Foundation's official user conference, trainings, and expo.
The ASF is a US 501(c)(3) charitable organization, funded by individual donations and corporate
sponsors including Bloomberg, Budget Direct, Cerner, Citrix, Cloudera, Comcast, Facebook,
Google, Hortonworks, HP, IBM, InMotion Hosting, iSigma, Matt Mullenweg, Microsoft, Pivotal,
Produban, WANdisco, and Yahoo. For more information, visit http://www.apache.org/ or follow
@TheASF on Twitter.

© The Apache Software Foundation. "Apache", "Tajo", "Apache Tajo", "Hadoop", "Apache Hadoop",
"Hive", "Apache Hive", and "ApacheCon" are registered trademarks or trademarks of the Apache
Software Foundation in the United States and/or other countries. All other brands and trademarks
are the property of their respective owners.

# # #