www-announce mailing list archives

From Sally Khudairi ...@apache.org>
Subject [Re-transmitting] The Apache News Round-up: week ending 25 March 2016
Date Thu, 31 Mar 2016 13:48:14 GMT

[Re-transmitting due to an issue with the archives; apologies for any duplicate distributions]

>> this announcement is available online at https://s.apache.org/4mnQ

Today is the 17th Anniversary of The Apache Software Foundation! Thank you to the dedicated
developers, loyal users, tireless contributors, and countless enthusiasts behind Apache's
products, brand, and community. ASF Chairman Brett Porter and I have highlighted 17 ways Apache
has grown from strength to strength https://s.apache.org/eqwI

Join us in wishing the ASF many happy returns! And, of course, below is a summary of our accomplishments
over the past week:

ASF Board –management and oversight of the business and affairs of the corporation in accordance
with the Foundation's Bylaws.
- Next Board Meeting: 20 April 2016. Board calendar and minutes available at http://apache.org/foundation/board/calendar.html

ASF Membership –from the inaugural membership of 21 individuals, the ASF has grown to 588
individual members and 5,317 Committers collaborating across six continents.
- New Member voting complete; new Members will be announced within 30 days https://wiki.apache.org/general/MemberVoting

- New Board elected: welcome newcomers Isabel Drost-Fromm, Marvin Humphrey, and Mark Thomas,
who join re-elected Board members Shane Curcuru, Bertrand Delacretaz, Jim Jagielski, Chris
Mattmann, Brett Porter, and Greg Stein. Special thanks to outgoing Board members Rich Bowen,
David Nalley, and Sam Ruby for their invaluable service! http://apache.org/foundation/

ASF Infrastructure –our distributed team on four continents keeps the ASF's infrastructure
running around the clock.
- Now 7M+ weekly checks yield precision-level performance at 99.99% uptime http://status.apache.org/

ApacheCon™ –the official conference series of The Apache Software Foundation.
- Keynotes + Program announced for Apache:Big Data and ApacheCon. Join us! http://apachecon.com/

Apache Calcite™ –dynamic data management framework.
- Apache Calcite 1.7.0 and Avatica 1.7.1 released http://calcite.apache.org/news/2016/03/22/release-1.7.0/
and http://calcite.apache.org/avatica/downloads/

Apache Commons™ Math –a library of lightweight, self-contained mathematics and statistics
components addressing the most common problems not available in the Java programming language
or Commons Lang.
- Apache Commons Math 3.6.1 Released https://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-math/download_math.cgi

Apache Kylin™ –Open Source petabyte-scale Big Data distributed analytics engine.
- Apache Kylin 1.5.0 released https://kylin.apache.org/download/

Apache PDFBox™ –Open Source Java tool for working with PDF documents.
- The Apache® Software Foundation announces Apache PDFBox™ v2.0 https://s.apache.org/Ly9B

Apache Qpid™ Proton –an AMQP 1.0 messaging library that can be used in a wide range of
messaging applications including brokers, clients, routers, bridges, proxies, and more.
- Apache Qpid Proton 0.12.1 released http://qpid.apache.org/download.html

Apache Struts™ –an elegant, extensible framework for creating enterprise-ready Java Web
applications.
- Apache Struts 2.3.28 GA released http://struts.apache.org/download.cgi#struts2328

Did You Know?

- Did you know that the ASF has been accepted as a 2016 Google Summer of Code Mentoring Organization
since the program began in 2005? Students and Mentors welcome! http://community.apache.org/gsoc.html

- Did you know that the Apache Commons community has accepted Chimera as new Apache Commons
component? http://markmail.org/message/4qf3qtkwdqcre7tj

- Did you know that you can preview the new Apache Syncope v2.0 dashboard? http://syncope.tirasa.net/news/apache-syncope-2.0.0-dashboard.html

Apache Community Notices:

- Find out how you can participate with Apache community/projects/activities https://helpwanted.apache.org/

- The list of Apache project-related MeetUps can be found at http://apache.org/events/meetups.html

- Apache:Big Data North America will take place 9-12 May 2016 in Vancouver http://events.linuxfoundation.org/events/apache-big-data-north-america

- ApacheCon:Core North America will take place 11-13 May 2016 in Vancouver http://events.linuxfoundation.org/events/apachecon-north-america/

- The next HBaseCon will take place 24 May in San Francisco http://hbasecon.com

- MesosCon will be held 1-2 June 2016 in Denver http://events.linuxfoundation.org/events/mesoscon/

- Berlin Buzzwords is back 5-7 June 2016 http://berlinbuzzwords.de/

- CFP is open for the next Cassandra Summit 7-9 September 2016 in San Jose https://cfp.cassandrasummit.org/

- The Apache Software Foundation Operations Summary: Third Quarter, Fiscal Year 2016 (November
2015 - January 2016) is availbable at https://s.apache.org/9zLj

- Are your software solutions Powered by Apache? Download & use our "Powered By" logos
http://www.apache.org/foundation/press/kit/#poweredby

- Show your support for Apache with ASF-approved swag from http://www.zazzle.com/featherwear
and http://s.apache.org/landsend--all proceeds benefit the ASF!

= = =

For real-time updates, sign up for Apache-related news by sending mail to announce-subscribe@apache.org
and follow @TheASF on Twitter. For a broader spectrum from the Apache community, https://twitter.com/PlanetApache
provides an aggregate of Project activities as well as the personal blogs and tweets of select
ASF Committers.

# # #