www-announce mailing list archives

From Sally Khudairi ...@apache.org>
Subject The Apache News Round-up: week ending 26 August 2016
Date Fri, 26 Aug 2016 14:01:23 GMT
[ this announcement is available online at https://s.apache.org/MVlH ]

We've hit our 100th Weekly News Round-up! Here's what the Apache community has been up to:

ASF Board –management and oversight of the business and affairs of the corporation in accordance
with the Foundation's Bylaws.
- Next Board Meeting: 21 September 2016. Board calendar and minutes available at http://apache.org/foundation/board/calendar.html

ASF Infrastructure –our distributed team on four continents keeps the ASF's infrastructure
running around the clock.
- 7M+ weekly checks yield sparkly performance at 99.71% uptime http://status.apache.org/

ApacheCon™ –the official conference series of The Apache Software Foundation.
- CFP closes 9 September for Apache: Big Data and ApacheCon Europe/Seville http://apachecon.com/

- UPDATE: Travel Assistance applications due 16 September http://www.apache.org/travel/

Apache Allura™ –an Open Source implementation of a software forge, a Web site that manages
source code repositories, bug reports, discussions, wiki pages, blogs, and more for any number
of individual projects.
- Apache Allura 1.5.0 released https://allura.apache.org/

Apache CloudStack™ –mature, easy-to-deploy Open Source Cloud computing software that meets
the demands of the world's largest Cloud providers.
- Apache CloudStack 4.9 released https://s.apache.org/jU7Q

Apache Commons™ Configuration –provides a generic configuration interface which enables
an application to read configuration data from a variety of sources.
- Commons Configuration 2.1 released http://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-configuration/download_configuration.cgi

Apache Geode (incubating) –a data management platform that provides  a database-like consistency
model, reliable transaction processing and a shared-nothing architecture to maintain very
low latency performance with high concurrency processing.
- Apache Geode 1.0.0-incubating.M3 released http://geode.incubator.apache.org/releases/

Apache Johnzon™ –an implementation of JsonProcessing (aka jsr-353) and a set of useful
extension for this specification like an Object mapper, some JAX-RS providers and a WebSocket
module provides a basic integration with Java WebSocket API (JSR 356).
- Apache Johnzon 0.9.5 released http://johnzon.apache.org/

Apache Kudu™ –an Open Source storage engine for structured data that supports low-latency
random access together with efficient analytical access patterns.
- Apache Kudu 0.10.0 released http://kudu.apache.org/releases/0.10.0/

Did You Know?

- Did you know that in Apache Phoenix 4.8 a DISTINCT query went from a full table scan to
distinct value seeks (300sec -> 0.5sec)? http://phoenix.apache.org/

- Did you know that the Apache HBase project is seeking anonymous feedback? https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/NCZDXLJ

- Did you know that since its inception in 1999, nearly 15,000 people have contributed code
to the ASF? https://twitter.com/snoot_io/status/762939854984450048

Apache Community Notices:

- Find out how you can participate with Apache community/projects/activities --opportunities
open with Avro, ComDev, Directory, Apache HTTP Server, OODT, Poi, Syncope, Tika, Trafodion,
and Zest! https://helpwanted.apache.org/

- The list of Apache project-related MeetUps can be found at http://apache.org/events/meetups.html

- The next Cassandra Summit will be held 7-9 September 2016 in San Jose https://cfp.cassandrasummit.org/

- ApacheCon Europe will take place 14-18 November 2016 in Seville, Spain http://apachecon.com/

- The second ASF Annual Report is available at https://s.apache.org/pTMX

- Are your software solutions Powered by Apache? Download & use our "Powered By" logos
http://www.apache.org/foundation/press/kit/#poweredby

- Show your support for Apache with ASF-approved swag from http://www.zazzle.com/featherwear
and http://s.apache.org/landsend--all proceeds benefit the ASF!

= = =

For real-time updates, sign up for Apache-related news by sending mail to announce-subscribe@apache.org
and follow @TheASF on Twitter. For a broader spectrum from the Apache community, https://twitter.com/PlanetApache
provides an aggregate of Project activities as well as the personal blogs and tweets of select
ASF Committers.

# # #