www-announce mailing list archives

From Sally Khudairi ...@apache.org>
Subject The Apache Software Foundation Announces Apache® PredictionIO™ as a Top-Level Project
Date Tue, 24 Oct 2017 10:00:53 GMT
[this announcement is available online at https://s.apache.org/GsTT ]

Open Source Machine Learning server used to manage and deploy
production-ready predictive services at ActionML, BizReach, LiftIQ,
Pluralsight, and Salesforce, among others.

Forest Hill, MD –24 October 2017– The Apache Software Foundation (ASF),
the all-volunteer developers, stewards, and incubators of more than 350
Open Source projects and initiatives, announced today that Apache®
PredictionIO™ has graduated from the Apache Incubator to become a
Top-Level Project (TLP), signifying that the project's community and
products have been well-governed under the ASF's meritocratic process
and principles.

Apache PredictionIO is an Open Source Machine Learning Server that
enables developers to manage and deploy production-ready predictive
services for various kinds of Machine Learning tasks.

"PredictionIO was started with the goal of democratizing Machine
Learning, by providing a high-degree of customization through templates,
using an integrated stack of proven technologies provided by other
Apache and Open Source projects," said Donald Szeto, Vice President of
Apache PredictionIO and Principal Data Engineer for Einstein at
Salesforce. "It has been inspiring to see the project going through
incubation, with a growing user and developer community who provided
invaluable feedback and contribution. We are excited about our
graduation, and look forward to continuing the project's goal with the
help from the community."

Apache PredictionIO focuses on enabling developers to quickly develop
and deploy production-ready Machine Learning pipelines. The project
features an engine template gallery, where developers can pick a
template, and quickly ramp up a complete setup for their Machine
Learning use cases. Each template in the gallery is designed for a
specific Machine Learning scenario.

Apache PredictionIO is in use at ActionML, BizReach, LiftIQ,
Pluralsight, and Salesforce, among others.

"We are very interested in PredictionIO for solving any Machine Learning
tasks," said Shinsuke Sugaya, Chief Scientist at BizReach, Inc. "At
BizReach, using PredictionIO, we have built a data-analysis platform for
HR, which fits learning models from about 5 million job descriptions and
recommends preferred items from them to users everyday. PredictionIO has
accelerated our analysis and development tasks for data scientists and
developers, and simplified infrastructure from data management to
prediction server."

"It was indeed an honor to be asked to mentor PredictionIO through its
successful graduation out of the Apache Incubator," said Suneel Marthi,
ASF Member and Apache PredictionIO Incubation Mentor. "Apache
PredictionIO is the platform that fills the gap between academic
research and productionizing Machine Learning-as-a-Service. As a
long-time practitioner of Machine Learning involving large scale
analytics, and Apache Mahout project committer for many years, I've
enjoyed working with PredictionIO team, and can see myself coming back
to this community for help with questions when using PredictionIO on the
job."

"I'm excited to see Apache PredictionIO begin to gain the recognition it
has truly earned," said Cody Kimball, Machine Learning Engineer at
Pluralsight. "I was fascinated with the growing field of Machine
Learning, but had no idea how to get started given my limited
development experience. I had the opportunity at work to spearhead some
marketing-related Machine Learning efforts, with a 9-month plan to get a
working POC up and running. After only 12 weeks, using PredictionIO, I
was able to build a fully functioning recommendation engine on our
externally-facing Website. We soon saw a 29% increase in forms being
filled out, which resulted in a 29% increase in new qualified sales
leads, and projected $1,333 increase in MRR. We rolled out this POC test
to just 10% of the Web traffic, with much more areas to improve on. This
has opened up so many opportunities that never would have been possible
had it not been for the availability and reliability of the PredictionIO
platform!"

"Apache PredictionIO is a strategic platform that Data Scientists around
the globe should learn to master!” said Shane Johnson, Founder and CEO
at LiftIQ. “Our team of developers use PredictionIO at the core of our
product architecture, and to power our Lift Intelligence Platform
(LiftIQ, an app on Salesforce App Exchange). We have been super
impressed with the flexibility of the framework: PredictionIO is built
on a solid, progressive foundation and cuts Machine Learning development
time in half. It allows developers to stay focused on tuning models and
integrating Machine Learning with existing apps. The contributors and
community are extremely active and helpful. We have had multiple
challenges along our path to proving out our product. Each time we have
reached out, we received responses from the community within minutes.
Thank you PredictionIO team and community and congratulations on
becoming an Apache Top-Level Project!"

"ActionML has been obsessed with Machine Learning for years. Some of us
have been committers to Apache Mahout, for instance. Apache PredictionIO
proved the missing link in putting ML into production for our more
demanding clients, several of which are Fortune 500 companies," said Pat
Ferrel, Chief Consultant at ActionML. "PredictionIO plays a key part in
our story of ‘Success at Apache’ https://s.apache.org/l9OO "

"Salesforce is committed to making machine learning more accessible and
empowering business users from companies of all industries and sizes to
work smarter and be more productive. After donating PredictionIO's Open
Source code to ASF, we've seen collaboration from several of our teams,
as well as customers, ISVs and a wider community,” said Simon Chan,
Senior Director, Product Management, Einstein. "Apache PredictionIO
reaching Top-Level Project status will unlock the power of AI for
companies large and small, empowering them to combine machine learning
with their CRM to deliver smarter, more productive customer
experiences."

"We welcome anyone who is passionate about our mission of bringing
Machine Learning to the masses to join our effort," added Szeto. "Any
feedback or contribution is invaluable to the project. Join the
discussion on our user and development mailing lists."

Catch Apache PredictionIO in action at the Salesforce Dreamforce 2017
conference 6-9 November 2017 in San Francisco.

Availability and Oversight
Apache PredictionIO software is released under the Apache License v2.0
and is overseen by a self-selected team of active contributors to the
project. A Project Management Committee (PMC) guides the Project's
day-to-day operations, including community development and product
releases. For downloads, documentation, and ways to become involved with
Apache PredictionIO, visit http://predictionio.apache.org/ and
https://twitter.com/ApachePIO

About the Apache Incubator
The Apache Incubator is the entry path for projects and codebases
wishing to become part of the efforts at The Apache Software Foundation.
All code donations from external organizations and existing external
projects wishing to join the ASF enter through the Incubator to: 1)
ensure all donations are in accordance with the ASF legal standards; and
2) develop new communities that adhere to our guiding principles.
Incubation is required of all newly accepted projects until a further
review indicates that the infrastructure, communications, and decision
making process have stabilized in a manner consistent with other
successful ASF projects. While incubation status is not necessarily a
reflection of the completeness or stability of the code, it does
indicate that the project has yet to be fully endorsed by the ASF. For
more information, visit http://incubator.apache.org/

About The Apache Software Foundation (ASF)
Established in 1999, the all-volunteer Foundation oversees more than 350
leading Open Source projects, including Apache HTTP Server --the world's
most popular Web server software. Through the ASF's meritocratic process
known as "The Apache Way," more than 680 individual Members and 6,300
Committers across six continents successfully collaborate to develop
freely available enterprise-grade software, benefiting millions of users
worldwide: thousands of software solutions are distributed under the
Apache License; and the community actively participates in ASF mailing
lists, mentoring initiatives, and ApacheCon, the Foundation's official
user conference, trainings, and expo. The ASF is a US 501(c)(3)
charitable organization, funded by individual donations and corporate
sponsors including Alibaba Cloud Computing, ARM, Bloomberg, Budget
Direct, Capital One, Cash Store, Cerner, Cloudera, Comcast, Facebook,
Google, Hewlett Packard, Hortonworks, Huawei, IBM, Inspur, iSIGMA, ODPi,
LeaseWeb, Microsoft, PhoenixNAP, Pivotal, Private Internet Access, Red
Hat, Serenata Flowers, Target, WANdisco, and Yahoo. For more
information, visit http://apache.org/ and https://twitter.com/TheASF

© The Apache Software Foundation. "Apache", "Mahout", "Apache Mahout",
"PredictionIO", "Apache PredictionIO", and "ApacheCon" are registered
trademarks or trademarks of the Apache Software Foundation in the United
States and/or other countries. All other brands and trademarks are the
property of their respective owners.

# # #

NOTE: you are receiving this message because you are subscribed to the
announce@apache.org distribution list. To unsubscribe, send email from