www-announce mailing list archives

From Sally Khudairi ...@apache.org>
Subject The Apache Software Foundation Announces Apache® Kibble™ as a Top-Level Project
Date Tue, 30 Jan 2018 11:01:11 GMT
[this announcement is available online at https://s.apache.org/wMMa ]

Open Source tools used for collecting, aggregating and visualizing software project activity.

Wakefield, MA —30 January 2018— The Apache Software Foundation (ASF), the all-volunteer
developers, stewards, and incubators of more than 350 Open Source projects and initiatives,
announced today Apache® Kibble™ as a Top-Level Project (TLP).

Apache Kibble is an activity reporting platform created to collect, aggregate, analyze, and
visualize activity in software projects and communities. With Kibble, users can track a project’s
code, discussions, issues, and individuals through detailed views mapped across specified
time periods.

"We are passionate about solving hard problems, particularly as they relate to defining and
measuring a project's success," said Rich Bowen, Vice President of Apache Kibble. "As doing
so is notoriously difficult, we want to provide a set of tools that allow a project to define
success, and track their progress towards that success, in terms that make the most sense
for their community. Apache Kibble is a way to make this happen."

Apache Kibble is the latest project to enter the ASF directly as a Top-Level Project, bypassing
the Apache Incubator (the official entry path for projects and codebases wishing to become
part of the efforts at The Apache Software Foundation). As part of its eligibility, Apache
Kibble had to meet the many requirements of the Apache Maturity Model http://s.apache.org/O4p
that include a project’s code, copyright, licenses, releases, consensus building, independence,
and more.

Kibble is the Open Source edition of Snoot, the enterprise project and community reporting
platform used by dozens of Apache projects as well as by the ASF for its official reports
including the ASF Annual Report.

"By gaining an in-depth view into the ASF's operations through 1,433 Apache project repositories,
we are able to obtain performance metrics for more than 300 Apache projects and nearly 900
million code line changes by more than 6,500 contributors," said Sally Khudairi, Vice President
of Marketing and Publicity at The Apache Software Foundation. "We are excited to share the
ability to provide insight with projects of all kinds, and help their communities identify
trends and advance their impact."

"We're getting input and data from both a wide range of Apache projects as well as projects
from outside of the foundation," added Bowen. "We're also collecting historical metrics from
older projects with their rich history of successes and mistakes. They have a great deal of
history and passion around measuring their communities, and hearing from disparate projects
is helping to refine that vision. We would love to hear from more projects about what metrics
are important to track, and invite their communities to join our mailing lists to discuss
how we can help one another."

Catch Apache Kibble in action at FOSDEM, 3-4 February 2018 in Brussels.

Availability and Oversight
Apache Kibble software is released under the Apache License v2.0 and is overseen by a self-selected
team of active contributors to the project. A Project Management Committee (PMC) guides the
Project's day-to-day operations, including community development and product releases. For
downloads, documentation, and ways to become involved with Apache Kibble, visit http://kibble.apache.org/
and https://twitter.com/ApacheKibble

About The Apache Software Foundation (ASF)
Established in 1999, the all-volunteer Foundation oversees more than 350 leading Open Source
projects, including Apache HTTP Server --the world's most popular Web server software. Through
the ASF's meritocratic process known as "The Apache Way," more than 680 individual Members
and 6,500 Committers across six continents successfully collaborate to develop freely available
enterprise-grade software, benefiting millions of users worldwide: thousands of software solutions
are distributed under the Apache License; and the community actively participates in ASF mailing
lists, mentoring initiatives, and ApacheCon, the Foundation's official user conference, trainings,
and expo. The ASF is a US 501(c)(3) charitable organization, funded by individual donations
and corporate sponsors including Aetna, Alibaba Cloud Computing, ARM, Baidu, Bloomberg, Budget
Direct, Capital One, Cash Store, Cerner, Cloudera, Comcast, Facebook, Google, Hortonworks,
Huawei, IBM, Inspur, iSIGMA, ODPi, LeaseWeb, Microsoft, PhoenixNAP, Pivotal, Private Internet
Access, Red Hat, Target, Union Investment, and Yahoo. For more information, visit http://apache.org/
and https://twitter.com/TheASF

© The Apache Software Foundation. "Apache", "Kibble", "Apache Kibble", and "ApacheCon" are
registered trademarks or trademarks of the Apache Software Foundation in the United States
and/or other countries. All other brands and trademarks are the property of their respective
owners.

# # #