www-announce mailing list archives

From Sally Khudairi ...@apache.org>
Subject The Apache News Round-up: week ending 23 February 2018
Date Fri, 23 Feb 2018 15:17:22 GMT
[this announcement is available online at https://s.apache.org/GKHa ]

We're closing out the month with the following activities from the Apache community:

ASF Board –management and oversight of the business affairs of the corporation in accordance
with the Foundation's bylaws.
 - Next Board Meeting: 21 March. Board calendar and minutes http://apache.org/foundation/board/calendar.html

ApacheCon™ –the ASF's official global conference series.
 - Travel Assistance applications now being accepted for ApacheCon/Montreal https://www.apache.org/travel/
 - CFP is open for ApacheCon 24-29 September in Montreal http://apachecon.com/
 - CFP is also open for the Apache Roadshow Europe 13-14 June in Berlin http://apachecon.com/euroadshow18/

Apache Community Development –helps newcomers take their first steps towards being a part
of the Apache community.
 - We are proud to be a Google Summer of Code Mentoring Organization for the 13th consecutive
year. Students: learn how to get started with dozens of Apache projects at https://community.apache.org/gsoc.html

ASF Infrastructure –our distributed team on three continents keeps the ASF's infrastructure
running around the clock.
 - 7M+ weekly checks yield zippity performance at 99.97% uptime. http://status.apache.org/

ASF Operations Factoid –this week, 406 Apache contributors changed 872,446 lines of code
over 2,838 commits. Top 5 contributors, in order, are: Dewayne Richardson, Andi Huber, Dan
Kirkwood, Daniel Sun, and Dan Haywood.

Apache Arrow™ –a cross-language development platform for in-memory data.
 - Apache Arrow JavaScript 0.3.0 released http://arrow.apache.org/

Apache Beam™ –a programming model, SDKs, and runners for defining and executing data processing
 - Apache Beam 2.3.0 released https://beam.apache.org/

Apache Geode™ –low latency, high concurrency data management solutions.
 - CVE-2017-15696 Apache Geode configuration request authorization vulnerability http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-announce/201802.mbox/%3CCAEwge-GQLV_9Y56psCejkhA-B3jx4amnQP5AoVwURbzn%3DDCZOw%40mail.gmail.com%3E

Apache Groovy™ –a multi-facet programming language for the JVM.
 - Apache Groovy 2.5.0-beta-3 released https://groovy.apache.org/

Apache Jackrabbit™ Oak –a scalable, high-performance hierarchical content repository designed
for use as the foundation of modern world-class Web sites and other demanding content applications.
 - Apache Jackrabbit Oak 1.4.20 released http://jackrabbit.apache.org/

Apache jclouds™ –an Open Source multi-cloud toolkit for the Java platform that gives you
the freedom to create applications that are portable across clouds while giving you full control
to use cloud-specific features.
 - Apache jclouds 2.1.0 released http://jclouds.apache.org/

Apache NetBeans (incubating) –a development environment, tooling platform and application
 - Apache NetBeans (incubating) 9.0 Beta released http://netbeans.apache.org/

Apache Storm™ –a distributed, fault-tolerant, and high-performance realtime computation
system that provides strong guarantees on the processing of data.
 - Apache Storm 1.0.6, 1.1.2, and 1.2.0 released http://storm.apache.org

Apache Tomcat™ –an Open Source software implementation of the Java Servlet, JavaServer
Pages, Java Unified Expression Language, Java WebSocket and JASPIC technologies.
 - CVE-2018-1304 Security constraints mapped to context root are ignored http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-announce/201802.mbox/%3C2a8f2292-2aee-d8fa-9ccc-d1f9b20d0eed%40apache.org%3E

 - CVE-2018-1305 Security constraint annotations applied too late http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-announce/201802.mbox/%3C8b41c43e-20cd-10d0-5e2e-e3947bd26a32%40apache.org%3E

Apache Wicket™ –an Open Source Java component oriented Web application framework that
powers thousands of web applications and Web sites for governments, stores, universities,
cities, banks, email providers, and more.
 - Apache Wicket 8.0.0-M9 released http://wicket.apache.org

Did You Know?

 - Did you know why companies sponsor ApacheCon? https://feathercast.apache.org/2016/05/09/why-did-you-sponsor-apachebigdata/

 - Did you know that German business management consultancy Ecomify uses Apache OFBiz? http://ofbiz.apache.org/

 - Did you know that Apache Zeppelin will be holding a get together at Strata 2018 in San
Jose? http://zeppelin.apache.org/

Apache Community Notices:

 - The Apache Software Foundation 2018 Vision Statement https://s.apache.org/zqC3

 - Apache in 2017 - By The Digits https://s.apache.org/h8do

 - Foundation Statement –Apache Is Open. https://s.apache.org/PIRA

 - "Success at Apache" focuses on the processes behind why the ASF "just works". 1) Project
Independence https://s.apache.org/CE0V 2) All Carrot and No Stick https://s.apache.org/ykoG
3) Asynchronous Decision Making https://s.apache.org/PMvk4) Rule of the Makers https://s.apache.org/yFgQ
5) JFDI --the unconditional love of contributors https://s.apache.org/4pjM 6) Meritocracy
and Me https://s.apache.org/tQQh 7) Learning to Build a Stronger Community https://s.apache.org/x9Be
8) Meritocracy. https://s.apache.org/DiEo 9) Lowering Barriers to Open Innovation https://s.apache.org/dAlg
10) All My Roads Led to Apache https://s.apache.org/l9OO 11) Scratch Your Own Itch. https://s.apache.org/7Amk
12) What a Long Strange (and Great) Trip It's Been https://s.apache.org/gVuN 13) A Newbie's
Narrative https://s.apache.org/A72H

 - Please follow/like/re-tweet the ASF on social media: @TheASF on Twitter and on LinkedIn
at https://www.linkedin.com/company/the-apache-software-foundation

 - Do friend and follow us on the Apache Community Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/ApacheSoftwareFoundation/and
Twitter account https://twitter.com/ApacheCommunity

 - The list of Apache project-related MeetUps can be found at http://apache.org/events/meetups.html

 - Apache CloudStack will be holding their first German Meetup on 28 February 2018 in Frankfurt

 - Members of the Apache community will be presenting at DataWorks Summit 16-19 April 2018
in Berlin https://dataworkssummit.com/

 - Open Expo Europe - 6-7 June 2018 in Madrid https://openexpoeurope.com/

 - Meet members of the Apache community at Open Expo Madrid 6-7 June 2018 http://www.openexpo.es/en/

 - We're teaming up with Berlin Buzzwords - 10-12 June 2018 (Apache Lounge dates: 11-12 June)

 - The 2018 Apache EU Roadshow will be held during FOSS Backstage in Berlin 13-14 June 2018

 - Apache Big Data project communities will be participating at DataWorks Summit 17-21 June
2018 in San Jose https://dataworkssummit.com/

 - ASF Quarterly Report: Operations Summary Q2 FY2018 https://s.apache.org/j1GJ

 - ASF Annual Report is available at https://s.apache.org/FY2017AnnualReport

 - Find out how you can participate with Apache community/projects/activities --opportunities
open with Apache HTTP Server, Avro, ComDev (community development), Directory, Incubator,
OODT, POI, Polygene, Syncope, Tika, Trafodion, and more! https://helpwanted.apache.org/

 - Are your software solutions Powered by Apache? Download & use our "Powered By" logos

= = =

For real-time updates, sign up for Apache-related news by sending mail to announce-subscribe@apache.org
and follow @TheASF on Twitter. For a broader spectrum from the Apache community, https://twitter.com/PlanetApache
provides an aggregate of Project activities as well as the personal blogs and tweets of select
ASF Committers.

# # #