www-announce mailing list archives

From Sally Khudairi ...@apache.org>
Subject The Apache News Round-up: week ending 4 May 2018
Date Fri, 04 May 2018 15:52:04 GMT
[this announcement is available online at https://s.apache.org/UqGY ]

It's time for our weekly review of the Apache community's activities. Here we go, and "May
the 4th" be with you!

The Apache Software Foundation Welcomes 51 New Members https://s.apache.org/ysxx

ASF Board –management and oversight of the business affairs of the corporation in accordance
with the Foundation's bylaws.
 - Next Board Meeting: 16 May. Board calendar and minutes http://apache.org/foundation/board/calendar.html

ApacheCon™ –the ASF's official global conference series.
 - Join us at Apache Roadshow Europe/Berlin 11-14 June/Berlin --register for FOSS Backstage
and you're in! https://foss-backstage.de/
 - Schedule announced and Registration open for ApacheCon North America 24-27 September/Montreal
http://apachecon.com/
 - Save the date: Apache Roadshow and Open Source Job Fair 8 October/Fairfax, VA

ASF Infrastructure –our distributed team on three continents keeps the ASF's infrastructure
running around the clock.
 - 7M+ weekly checks yield polished performance at 99.50% uptime. http://status.apache.org/

ASF Operations Factoid –this week, 515 Apache contributors changed 1,230,970 lines of code
over 3,430 commits. Top 5 contributors, in order, are: Jan van Doorn, Jean-Baptiste Onofré,
Peng Hui Jiang, James Taylor, and Mark Thomas.

Apache Calcite™ Avatica Go –a framework for building database drivers that defines a wire
API and serialization mechanism for clients to communicate with a server as a proxy to a database.
 - Apache Calcite Avatica Go 3.0.0 released https://calcite.apache.org/

Apache Impala™ –a high-performance distributed SQL engine.
 - Apache Impala 2.12.0 released https://impala.apache.org/

Apache HBase™ –the Hadoop database, a distributed, scalable, Big Data store.
 - Apache HBase 2.0.0 released https://hbase.apache.org/

Apache OpenWebBeans™ –a CDI container (Contexts and Dependency Injection for Java) and
targets the CDI-1.2 specification (JavaEE 7).
 - Apache OpenWebBeans 1.7.5 and 2.0.5 released http://openwebbeans.apache.org/

Did You Know?

 - Did you know that the following Apache projects are celebrating their anniversaries this
month? Apache Forrest and Geronimo (14 years); Apache Tomcat (13 years); Apache OpenJPA, POI,
TomEE, and Turbine (11 years); Apache Libcloud (7 years); Apache Giraph, Hama, and ManifoldCF
(6 years); Apache Phoenix (4 years); Apache Whimsy (3 years); Apache Bahir, TinkerPop, and
Zeppelin (2 years); and Apache SystemML (1 year) --many happy returns!

 - Did you know that Apache Drill lets you run SQL queries directly against Amazon S3 data?
http://drill.apache.org/

 - Did you know that the apache.org domain receives 35M collective page views per week? http://apache.org/

Apache Community Notices:
 - The Apache Software Foundation Celebrates 19 Years of Open Source Leadership "The Apache
Way" https://s.apache.org/gK4Q

 - Read "Open – For Business – At the ASF" by Merv Adrian, VP Research at Gartner https://blogs.gartner.com/merv-adrian/2018/03/27/open-for-business-at-the-asf/

 - A look at the "Apache at 19" promo at https://youtu.be/Fqk_rlKiVIs

 - The Apache Software Foundation 2018 Vision Statement https://s.apache.org/zqC3

 - Apache in 2017 - By The Digits https://s.apache.org/h8do

 - Foundation Statement –Apache Is Open. https://s.apache.org/PIRA

 - "Success at Apache" focuses on the processes behind why the ASF "just works". https://blogs.apache.org/foundation/category/SuccessAtApache

 - Please follow/like/re-tweet the ASF on social media: @TheASF on Twitter and on LinkedIn
at https://www.linkedin.com/company/the-apache-software-foundation

 - Do friend and follow us on the Apache Community Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/ApacheSoftwareFoundation/
and Twitter account https://twitter.com/ApacheCommunity

 - The list of Apache project-related MeetUps can be found at http://apache.org/events/meetups.html

 - Open Expo Europe - 6-7 June 2018 in Madrid https://openexpoeurope.com/

 - Meet members of the Apache community at Open Expo Madrid 6-7 June 2018 http://www.openexpo.es/en/

 - We're teaming up the Apache Roadshow Europe with Berlin Buzzwords - 10-12 June 2018 (Apache
Lounge dates: 11-12 June) https://berlinbuzzwords.de/

 - The 2018 Apache EU Roadshow will be held during FOSS Backstage in Berlin 13-14 June 2018
https://foss-backstage.de/

 - Apache Big Data project communities will be participating at DataWorks Summit 17-21 June
2018 in San Jose https://dataworkssummit.com/

 - ApacheCon North America will be held 24-27 September in Montreal http://apachecon.com/

 - Save the Date: Apache Roadshow DC and Open Source/Government/Cyber/Job Fair - 8 October
2018 in Fairfax, VA http://apachecon.com/

 - ASF Quarterly Report: Operations Summary: November 2017 - January 2018 https://s.apache.org/UtBD

 - ASF Annual Report is available at https://s.apache.org/FY2017AnnualReport

 - Find out how you can participate with Apache community/projects/activities --opportunities
open with Apache HTTP Server, Avro, ComDev (community development), Directory, Incubator,
OODT, POI, Polygene, Syncope, Tika, Trafodion, and more! https://helpwanted.apache.org/

 - Are your software solutions Powered by Apache? Download & use our "Powered By" logos
http://www.apache.org/foundation/press/kit/#poweredby

= = =

For real-time updates, sign up for Apache-related news by sending mail to announce-subscribe@apache.org
and follow @TheASF on Twitter. For a broader spectrum from the Apache community, https://twitter.com/PlanetApache
provides an aggregate of Project activities as well as the personal blogs and tweets of select
ASF Committers.

# # #