www-announce mailing list archives

From Sally Khudairi ...@apache.org>
Subject Success at Apache — 赢在 Apache: If it helps others, all the better.
Date Wed, 05 Sep 2018 02:03:24 GMT
[this post is available online at https://s.apache.org/Et2y ]

by Sally Khudairi, with contributions by Ignasi Barrera, Von Gosling, Luke Han, Kevin A. McGrail,
and Anthony Shaw. Translations by Ted Liu and David Zhenwei Dong.

I became active in The Apache Software Foundation at its inception in 1999. I am responsible
for elevating the ASF's visibility, and supporting the Foundation by counseling 350+ Apache
projects and their communities in the areas of messaging, outreach, and engagement.

As a global, virtual, and diverse community, the ASF relies on countless Apache Members, Committers,
and Contributors to help share our values and explain our processes with others. We have grown
from a single project to hundreds of projects and communities https://projects.apache.org/committees.html?date
through "The Apache Way": an inclusive process and judicious reinforcement of "Community Over
Code".

We launched the "Success at Apache" blog series following the Media & Analyst Training
at ApacheCon Seville in 2016. I asked ASF Board Member and VP Brand Management Mark Thomas
his opinion on what he thinks are some of the reasons that the ASF "just works". His immediate
response was: "project independence". I asked if he'd put that in writing —in his own words—
as our community members' personal experiences help others see The Apache Way through their
unique perspectives. Shortly afterwards, we published "Project Independence" https://blogs.apache.org/foundation/entry/success_at_apache_project_independence
and "Success at Apache" was born https://blogs.apache.org/foundation/feed/entries/atom?cat=SuccessAtApache
.

Whilst English is the ASF's official language, localization often helps foster understanding,
 encourage adoption, and onboard new contributors more quickly. A while back, ASF Member Ted
Liu told me that he and some of his coworkers had translated a handful of our "Success at
Apache" blog posts into Mandarin Chinese. He asked if it would be useful to us.

Why yes, of course: new approaches to promote and propagate The Apache Way are always appreciated.

. . .

赢在 Apache [posts and translations available at https://blogs.apache.org/foundation/entry/success-at-apache2
]

- Meritocracy, by Kevin A. McGrail, Vice President of ASF Fundraising. Translation by David
Zhenwei Dong.

- Lowering Barriers to Open Innovation, by Luke Han, Vice President of Apache Kylin. Translation
by David Zhenwei Dong.

- Scratch Your Own Itch, by Ignasi Barrera, a member of the Apache jclouds PMC. Translation
by Ted Liu.

- Contributing to Open Source Even with a High-pressure Job, by Anthony Shaw, contributor
to over 20 Open Source projects, including Apache Libcloud. Translation by Ted Liu.

- Open Innovation from a Non-native English Country, by Von Gosling, original co-founder of
Apache RocketMQ. Translation by Ted Liu.

. . .

Ted's action reflects one of our greatest successes at Apache: the mindset of "If this is
helpful to me, that's good (= "scratch your own itch"). If it helps others, all the better."

After all, we didn't become the world's largest Open Source foundation by not being helpful.
There's always something needing to be done in an all-volunteer community: if you'd like to
help the ASF, we will happily accept your assistance where possible. Plus, helping others
feels pretty great.

Whether contributing code and writing documentation http://apache.org/foundation/getinvolved.html
, mentoring community members http://community.apache.org/ , supporting the ASF through an
individual donation or corporate sponsorship http://apache.org/foundation/contributing.html
, or serving in myriad other ways https://helpwanted.apache.org/ , we thank you.

For an immersive, rewarding experience with dozens of Apache projects and hundreds of user
and developer community members, consider joining us at ApacheCon in Montreal 24-27 September
2018 http://apachecon.com/ . This year's event is extra special, as we're celebrating the
20th Anniversary of ApacheCon —huzzah! All are welcome https://blogs.apache.org/comdev/entry/my-first-experience-of-apachecon

We look forward to seeing you there and sharing your Success at Apache.

Sally Khudairi is Vice President of Marketing & Publicity at The Apache Software Foundation
(ASF) where, in 2002, she was elected its first female and non-technical Member. Over her
25-year career in the Web, Khudairi has been lauded as a dynamic communications strategist
and expert in next-generation innovations, and has played an integral role in building campaigns
for some of the industry’s most prominent standards and organizations. Prior to launching
the ASF in 1999, Khudairi was deputy to Sir Tim Berners-Lee as Head of Communications at the
World Wide Web Consortium (W3C), overseeing the launch of 17 specifications that include HTTP/1.1,
PNG, CSS, HTML4 and XML. She is Managing Director/Luxury & Technology Practice lead at
HALO Worldwide and Founder/Chief Marketing Officer at OptDyn.

= = =

"Success at Apache" is a monthly blog series that focuses on the processes behind why the
ASF "just works" https://blogs.apache.org/foundation/category/SuccessAtApache

# # #