www-announce mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <rgo...@apache.org>
Subject [ANNOUNCE] Apache Log4j 2.11.2 released
Date Sat, 09 Feb 2019 17:46:02 GMT
The Apache Log4j 2 team is pleased to announce the Log4j 2.11.2 release!

Apache Log4j is a well known framework for logging application behavior.
Log4j 2 is an upgrade to Log4j that provides significant improvements
over its predecessor, Log4j 1.x, and provides many other modern features
such as support for Markers, lambda expressions for lazy logging,
property substitution using Lookups, multiple patterns on a
PatternLayout and asynchronous Loggers. Another notable Log4j 2 feature
is the ability to be "garbage-free" (avoid allocating temporary objects)
while logging. In addition, Log4j 2 will not lose events while
reconfiguring.

The artifacts may be downloaded
fromhttps://logging.apache.org/log4j/2.x/download.html.

This release contains bugfixes and minor enhancements.

Due to a break in compatibility in the SLF4J binding, Log4j now ships
with two versions of the SLF4J to Log4j adapters. log4j-slf4j-impl
should be used with SLF4J 1.7.x and earlier and log4j-slf4j18-impl
should be used with SLF4J 1.8.x and later.

As of Log4j 2.9.0, the Log4j API was modified to use
java.util.ServiceLoader to locate Log4j implementations, although the
former binding mechanism is still supported. The Log4j API jar is now a
multi-release jar to provide implementations of Java 9 specific classes.
Multi-release jars are not supported by the OSGi specification so OSGi
modules will not be able to take advantage of these implementations but
will not lose functionality as they will fall back to the
implementations used in Java 7 and 8. Applications using Spring Boot
must add the Multi-Release header to the jar manifest or the Java 9+
classes will be ignored.

More details on the fixes are itemized below. Note that some tools are
not compatible with multi-release jars and may fail trying to process
class files in the META-INF/versions/9 folder. Those errors should be
reported to the tool vendor.

Note that subsequent to the 2.9.0 release, for security reasons, Log4j
does not process DTD in XML files. If you used DTD for including
snippets, you have to use XInclude or Composite Configuration instead.

Also subsequent to the 2.9.0 release, for security reasons,
SerializedLayout is deprecated and no longer used as default in the
Socket and JMS appenders. SerializedLayout can still be used as before,
but has to be specified explicitly. To retain old behaviour, you have to
change configuration like:

|<Appenders> <Socket name="socket" host="localhost" port="9500"/>
</Appenders> |

into:

|<Appenders> <Socket name="socket" host="localhost" port="9500">
<SerializedLayout/> </Socket> </Appenders> |

We do, however, discourage the use of SerializedLayout and recommend
JsonLayout as a replacement:

|<Appenders> <Socket name="socket" host="localhost" port="9500">
<JsonLayout properties="true"/> </Socket> </Appenders> |

Note that the XML, JSON and YAML formats changed in the 2.11.0 release:
they no longer have the "timeMillis" attribute and instead have an
"Instant" element with "epochSecond" and "nanoOfSecond" attributes.

The Log4j 2.11.2 API, as well as many core components, maintains binary
compatibility with previous releases.

    <https://github.com/apache/logging-log4j2/blob/log4j-2.11.2/RELEASE-NOTES.md#ga-release-2112>GA
    Release 2.11.2

Changes in this version include:

      <https://github.com/apache/logging-log4j2/blob/log4j-2.11.2/RELEASE-NOTES.md#new-features>New
      Features

  * LOG4J2-2496 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4J2-2496>:
    JDBC Appender should reconnect to the database when a connection
    goes stale.
  * LOG4J2-2505 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4J2-2505>: Let
    JDBC PoolingDriverConnectionSource with Apache Commons DBCP
    configure a PoolableConnectionFactory.
  * LOG4J2-2509 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4J2-2509>:
    Allow a JDBC Appender to truncate strings to match a table's
    metadata column length limit.
  * LOG4J2-1246 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4J2-1246>:
    PatternLayout %date conversion pattern should render time zone
    designator for ISO-ISO8601.

      <https://github.com/apache/logging-log4j2/blob/log4j-2.11.2/RELEASE-NOTES.md#fixed-bugs>Fixed
      Bugs

  * LOG4J2-2500 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4J2-2500>:
    Document that Properties element must be the first configuration
    element.
  * LOG4J2-2543 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4J2-2543>: Add
    Log4j-to-SLF4J to BOM pom.xml. Thanks to Dermot Hardy.
  * LOG4J2-2061 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4J2-2061>: Use
    the file pattern as the FileManager "name" when no filename is present.
  * LOG4J2-2009 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4J2-2009>:
    Expose LoggerContext.setConfiguration as a public method.
  * LOG4J2-2542 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4J2-2542>:
    CronTriggeringPolicy was not rolling properly, especially when used
    with the SizeBasedTriggeringPolicy.
  * LOG4J2-2266 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4J2-2266>:
    Load PropertySources from any accessible ClassLoader. Hide any
    exceptions that may occur accessing a PropertySource.
  * LOG4J2-1570 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4J2-1570>:
    Logging with a lambda expression with a method call that also logs
    would cause logs within method call to reference line num and method
    name of the parent method.
  * LOG4J2-2485 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4J2-2485>:
    SizeBasedTriggeringPolicy was not honored when using the
    DirectWriteRolloverStrategy if the machine restarts. Thanks to
    Giovanni Matteo Fumarola.
  * LOG4J2-1906 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4J2-1906>:
    Direct write was creating files with the wrong date/time.
  * LOG4J2-2453 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4J2-2453>: Add
    Log4j-slf4j18-impl dependency to bom pom. Thanks to theit.
  * LOG4J2-2515 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4J2-2515>:
    Configuration documentation referenced incorrect method name. Thanks
    to MakarovS.
  * LOG4J2-2514 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4J2-2514>:
    Make Strings.toRootUpperCase a static method so it can be accessed.
    Thanks to smilebrian0515.
  * LOG4J2-1571 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4J2-1571>:
    Fixed Appenders section in Extending Log4j. Thanks to torbenmoeller.
  * LOG4J2-2397 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4J2-2397>:
    Predeployment of PersistenceUnit that using Log4j as session logger
    failed (#198). Thanks to EckelDong.
  * LOG4J2-2365 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4J2-2365>:
    NameAbbreviator correctly abbreviates first fragments (#188). Thanks
    to Eugene Zimichev.
  * LOG4J2-2201 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4J2-2201>: Fix
    memory leak in ReusableParameterizedMessage.
  * LOG4J2-2363 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4J2-2363>:
    ReusableObjectMessage parameter is properly passed to appenders
    (#203). Thanks to Brian Laub.
  * LOG4J2-2418 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4J2-2418>:
    NullPointerException when closing never used
    RollingRandomAccessFileAppender. Thanks to Jonas Rutishauser.
  * LOG4J2-2422 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4J2-2422>:
    Handle some unchecked exceptions while loading plugins. Thanks to
    rswart, Gary Gregory.
  * LOG4J2-2441 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4J2-2441>:
    Setting a null ErrorHandler on AbstractAppender is not allowed and
    will no-op as expected.
  * LOG4J2-2444 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4J2-2444>:
    ErrorHandler is invoked with a LogEvent and Throwable when possible,
    where previously only a string was used.
  * LOG4J2-2413 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4J2-2413>:
    Exceptions are added to all columns when a JDBC Appender's
    ColumnMapping uses a Pattern. Thanks to Andres Luuk, Gary Gregory.
  * LOG4J2-2466 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4J2-2466>:
    ColumnMapping literal not working. Thanks to Paolo Bonanomi, Gary
    Gregory.
  * LOG4J2-2478 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4J2-2478>:
    AbstractStringLayoutStringEncodingBenchmark returns the computed
    variables on each benchmark to avoid DCE. Thanks to Diego Elias Costa.
  * LOG4J2-2134 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4J2-2134>:
    StackOverflowError at AwaitCompletionReliabilityStrategy. Thanks to
    David del Amo Mateos, Gary Gregory.
  * LOG4J2-2481 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4J2-2481>:
    Avoid NullPointerExceptions in
    org.apache.logging.log4j.core.config.AbstractConfiguration for null
    arguments.
  * LOG4J2-2457 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4J2-2457>:
    RollingRandomAccessFileManager ignores new file patterns from
    programmatic reconfiguration. Thanks to Heiko Schwanke, Gary Gregory.
  * LOG4J2-2482 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4J2-2482>:
    BasicContextSelector cannot be used in a OSGI application. Thanks to
    Rob Gansevles.
  * LOG4J2-2476 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4J2-2476>:
    org.apache.log4j.SimpleLayout and ConsoleAppender missing in
    log4j-1.2-api. Thanks to Al Bundy.
  * LOG4J2-2497 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4J2-2497>:
    JmsAppender reconnectIntervalMillis cannot be set from a
    configuration file.
  * LOG4J2-2499 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4J2-2499>: JMS
    Appender may throw a NullPointerException when JMS is not up while
    the Appender is starting.
  * LOG4J2-2508 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4J2-2508>:
    JDBC Appender fails when using both parameter, source, and literal
    ColumnMapping elements.
  * LOG4J2-2527 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4J2-2527>:
    Prevent ConcurrentModificationException while iterating over
    ListAppender events.
  * LOG4J2-2522 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4J2-2522>: Fix
    regression using MapMessageLookup.lookup with MapMessages that do
    not implement StringMapMessage. Thanks to Adam Lesiak.
  * LOG4J2-2530 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4J2-2530>:
    Generalize checks using MapMessage implementations with do not
    extend StringMapMessage. Introduce new JAVA_UNQUOTED MapMessage
    format type based on the JAVA formatting, but without quoted values.
    Thanks to Travis Spencer.
  * LOG4J2-2533 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4J2-2533>: Fix
    a regression introduced by LOG4J2-2301 in 2.11.1 allowing allocation
    to occur in AsyncLoggerConfig. Thanks to Michail Prusakov.

      <https://github.com/apache/logging-log4j2/blob/log4j-2.11.2/RELEASE-NOTES.md#changes>Changes

  * LOG4J2-1576 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4J2-1576>:
    Switch from CLIRR to RevAPI for detecting API changes.
  * LOG4J2-2391 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4J2-2391>:
    Improve exception logging performance. ThrowableProxy construction
    uses a faster method to discover the current stack trace.
    ThrowablePatternConverter and ExtendedThrowablePatternConverter
    default configurations no longer allocate an additional buffer for
    stack trace contents.
  * LOG4J2-2447 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4J2-2447>: Let
    the NullAppender default its name to "null".
  * LOG4J2-2468 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4J2-2468>:
    Update Jackson from 2.9.6 to 2.9.7.
  * LOG4J2-2469 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4J2-2469>:
    Update Apache Commons Compress from 1.17 to 1.18.
  * LOG4J2-2470 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4J2-2470>:
    Update Apache Commons CSV from 1.5 to 1.6.
  * LOG4J2-2471 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4J2-2471>:
    Update javax.mail from 1.6.1 to 1.6.2.
  * LOG4J2-2472 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4J2-2472>:
    Update mongo-java-driver 3 from 3.8.0 to 3.8.2.
  * LOG4J2-2489 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4J2-2489>:
    JDBC Appender should release parameter resources ASAP.
  * LOG4J2-2491 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4J2-2491>:
    Allow all Appenders to optionally carry a Property array.
  * LOG4J2-2405 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4J2-2405>:
    Better handling of %highlight pattern when using jul-bridge. Thanks
    to Marco Herrn.
  * LOG4J2-2503 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4J2-2503>:
    Update MongoDB driver from 3.8.2 to 3.9.0 for log4j-mongodb3 module.

Apache Log4j 2.11.2 requires a minimum of Java 7 to build and run. Log4j
2.3 was the last release that supported Java 6.

Basic compatibility with Log4j 1.x is provided through the log4j-1.2-api
component, however it does not implement some of the very implementation
specific classes and methods. The package names and Maven groupId have
been changed to org.apache.logging.log4j to avoid any conflicts with
log4j 1.x.

For complete information on Apache Log4j 2, including instructions on
how to submit bug reports, patches, or suggestions for improvement, see
the Apache Apache Log4j 2 website:

https://logging.apache.org/log4j/2.x/