www-announce mailing list archives

From Katia Rojas <ka...@apache.org>
Subject [ANN] Seeking volunteer mentors from all Apache projects to help mentor under-represented contributors
Date Sat, 17 Aug 2019 11:39:21 GMT
Hello folks,

The ASF has successfully been accepted as a participating FOSS community in
the Outreachy Program [1] to work with Outreachy organizers to offer remote
internships to applicants around the world.  With this program, we are
looking forward to improving inclusion in our communities by understanding
what are the barriers that underrepresented groups in the tech industry
have while trying to start their journey.

Outreachy's goal is to support people from groups underrepresented in the
technology industry. Outreachy interns will work remotely with mentors on
projects ranging from programming, user experience, documentation,
illustration and graphic design, to data science. Outreachy interns will
receive stipends for developing said projects full-time for three months.

Mentors will provide mentoring and project ideas and in return have the
opportunity to get new participants - most importantly - to identify and
bring in new committers from underrepresented groups.

If you are an ASF committer and you want to participate with your project,
we ask you to do the following things by no later than 2019-Sep-17 23:00
UTC (project list submission are due a week later):

1. Ensure you can host an Outreachy intern

Understand the commitment to be a mentor [2] [4], we’ll also ask you that
you connect with the ASF D&I committee to ensure we capture a contribution
friction log from your interns. If you can fulfill this commitment, then
move forward to get consensus from your project’s PMC and move to the next
step.

2. Register your project with Outreachy

Register your project in the Outreachy website [6]. Please be as specific
as possible when describing your idea. Include the programming language,
the tools and skills required, but try not to scare potential students
away. They are supposed to learn what's required before the program starts.
Use labels, e.g. for the programming language (java, c, c++, erlang,
python, brainfuck, ...) or technology area (cloud, xml, web, foo, bar, ...).

If you want help crafting your project proposal, please contact the Apache
coordinators: "Matt Sicker" <boards@gmail.com>,. "Awasum Yannick" <
yannickawasum@gmail.com>,. "Katia Rojas" <Katia.grojas@gmail.com>.

3. Curate a list of tasks for your Outreachy project

Add an “outreachy19dec” label to issues related to your project. You should
include links to search filters listing these issues in your project
application. It’s also useful to use a “newbie-friendly” label to
distinguish the starter tasks from the larger or more complex project
tasks. This will provide tasks for applicants to complete during the
application process.

If your project doesn't use JIRA (e.g.httpd, ooo), you can use the
Diversity & Inclusion board to coordinate with your applicants, just use
the “Outreachy” component.

[4] Contains some additional information (this could be the FAQ page).

P.S.: this email is free to be shared publicly if you want to.