www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Fergus Henderson <...@cs.mu.oz.au>
Subject Re: Changed information for PR mod_mime/665
Date Mon, 09 Jun 1997 14:05:41 GMT
marc@hyperreal.com, you wrote:

> Synopsis: Incorrect content-type for `foo.ps.gz' file
>
> The change you propose is bogus.  Consider a file named
> foo.jpeg.gif.  Before your change it would be sent
> as a gif, as it should, after it would be sent as a jpeg.

Ah.  You are correct, my suggested code to fix the bug does
not work.  However, Apache's behaviour is still buggy, and
ought to be fixed, IMHO.

> Your problem probably comes from having both a
> content-type and content-encoding for .gz files.  Remove
> the AddType or entry in your mime.types for .gz files
> and things will work as they should.

There is nothing in the documentation that says that it is not
OK to have both a content-type and content-encoding for .gz files.
Apache does not report this as a configuration error, instead it
just produces bogus results.

If this is not a valid configuration, then the documentation should
say so, and Apache ought to detect the problem.  IMHO.

--
Fergus Henderson <fjh@cs.mu.oz.au>   |  "I have always known that the pursuit
PGP: finger fjh@128.250.37.3         |     -- the last words of T. S. Garp.