www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com>
Subject Re: mod_info/707: mod_info shows no config
Date Wed, 11 Jun 1997 00:10:04 GMT
The following reply was made to PR mod_info/707; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
To: Lars Eilebrecht <Lars.Eilebrecht@unix-ag.org>
Subject: Re: mod_info/707: mod_info shows no config
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 1997 10:42:40 -0600 (MDT)

 On Tue, 10 Jun 1997, Lars Eilebrecht wrote:

 > > Synopsis: mod_info shows no config
 > [...]
 > > Are your config files and all the directories leading
 > > up to them readable by the user the server runs as, ie.
 > > the user listed in the "User" directive?
 >
 > *oops* the module reads the config files itself...
 > Sorry, that was new to me... yes changing the permissions
 > solves the problem. Maybe it would be a good idea to let
 > mod_info output a message, if it cannot read the config files.

 It should have logged something in the error_log; Apache is normally
 deliberately elusive with responses returned to the client (eg. most
 things just cause an internal server error, with the real info being in
 the error_log) to avoid giving away any information about the site or its
 setup.

 This is a borderline case, since obviously if you give someone access to
 read your server config then it seems reasonable to let them know it can't
 read it.  Perhaps worth changing.