www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Lew Payne <le...@netcom.com>
Subject Re[2]: config/710: IP-based VirtualHosts Broken.
Date Thu, 12 Jun 1997 03:25:49 GMT

Recently, you (marc) wrote:
> Synopsis: IP-based VirtualHosts Broken.
>
> State-Changed-From-To: open-analyzed
> State-Changed-By: marc
> State-Changed-When: Mon Jun  9 22:19:21 PDT 1997
> State-Changed-Why:
> While the current virtual host code could be argued to
> be broken and it isn't pretty or easy to understand how
> it works, I think the problem you are having is a result
> of your configuration.
>
> You are telling Apache that _both_ the main server and
> a virtualhost are supposed to be www.persiankitty.com.
> That doesn't make any sense and confuses Apache.  You
> can not have both the main server and a virtual host
> answer to the same IP address, which is what you are doing
> by giving them both the same ServerName.
>
> See http://www.apache.org/docs/vhosts-in-depth.html for
> an explaination of some of your problems.  Fix that, and
> the rest may or may not work.  The pay4play one is the only
> one for which it isn't apparent why it is behaving how it
> is.  Clean up the others first and see if it starts working
> properly.

You are correct, but there is still a problem.  Apache does indeed
get confused when the main server name is also used as one of the
virtual host names.  Fixing that (persiankitty) seems to have also
fixed the problem with pay4play.  However, I run multiple servers
on multiple sites, and I'm still experiencing befuddling problems
even when following the Edict of Apache (tm).

It appears that, under certain circumstances where no _default_
VirtualHost is defined (which means we want to inherit the main
host as our default), Apache insists on looking in ServerRoot for
whatever URI is specified, even when DocumentRoot is specified.
So far, the fix has been to create a <VirtualHost _default_:*>.

If I rack my brains out again, I think I can recreate the behavior.
Please let me know if you'd like me to pursue this one.  Thank you
for supporting and improving apache.

On another note, I've gotten complaints from AOL users who could
not get to our site.  What they seem to have in common is that they
are using an external browser (Netscape).  This produces the classic
"even tried multi" error message.  Taking no chances, I had browser
match set to "AOL force-response-1.0"  What's strange is that when
I get these people to try our four raw IP addresses, it works.  Are
there any other reports of any strangeness like this?  On this one,
I'm really at a loss.  It is not an isolated incident.