www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Michael Graff <explo...@flame.org>
Subject config/746: Group directive in virtual host config broken
Date Tue, 17 Jun 1997 21:30:02 GMT

>Number:         746
>Category:       config
>Synopsis:       Group directive in virtual host config broken
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
I am trying to set up a virtual host on my machine.  I have things configured
to be like:

server name		user	group
www.flame.org		www	nobody
www.sorcery.net		sorcery	sor-www

However, the server cannot access, as www.sorcery.net, files which are
mode 640 and user:group explorer:sor-www.  However, they work fine when
the mode is 644.  This makes the .htaccess directive meaningless, as
anyone on my machine as full access to the files.
>How-To-Repeat:
Contact me for more information if you need it.

Simple case should be:

set up main host, user foo, group bar.
set up virtual host, user baz, group bax.

Make a file owned by baz:bax in the virtual's space, mode 640.
Try to read it.  It will fail.  chmod 644 it, and it will work.

Make a file owned by foo:bar in the virtual space, mode 640.  Try to read
it.  It will work.
>Fix:
No idea.  I think the virtual host code needs a roto-till.  At the very least,
the child servers need to be more virtual-host aware, and perhaps even running
as a specific user:group and maintained on seperate child pools.

It seems that you could maintain a user:group pool for each configured
user:group defined, and use the appropriate pool for the requests to
the servers.
%0