www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Jay Nitikman <...@cruzio.com>
Subject os-bsdi/760: apache 1.2 cannot handle a large number of virtual domains: "no data in doc"
Date Fri, 20 Jun 1997 15:10:02 GMT

>Number:         760
>Category:       os-bsdi
>Synopsis:       apache 1.2 cannot handle a large number of virtual domains: "no data in
doc"
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
We had apache 1.1.3 with 371 virtual domains configured.  When we upgraded to
apache 1.2, the server could not deliver WWW pages.  A browser displays
"Document contains no data".  The syslog file contains mentions of SIGSEV but
the core file is for the parent process and contains nothing of interest.  Other interesting
behavior:  Here is a typical
definition of a virtual domain:

<VirtualHost www.performanceds.com>
ServerName www.performanceds.com
ServerAdmin webmaster@cruzio.com
DocumentRoot /cruzio/web/pages/cruzio/nopage
TransferLog logs/domains/xfer/www.performanceds.com
ErrorLog logs/domains/error/www.performanceds.com
</VirtualHost>

If I comment out either the TransferLog or the ErrorLog line then the server
works, but if I enable both then the server fails.  I have confirmed that this
is NOT a problem of running out of file descriptors.  Again, we do not have
a problem with the 1.1.3 server, but why?
>How-To-Repeat:
Our httpd.conf has 371 virtual domains.  The virtual host definition that breaks
the server is shown above.
>Fix:
Nope