www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Henrik Storner <...@olicom.dk>
Subject mod_proxy/771: tmpXXXXX files left behind in top-level proxy-cache directory
Date Mon, 23 Jun 1997 07:50:01 GMT

>Number:         771
>Category:       mod_proxy
>Synopsis:       tmpXXXXX files left behind in top-level proxy-cache directory
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
The top-level proxy cache directory gets filled with files named tmp??????
when running for a period of time. With a couple of thousand files in this
directory, the proxy slows down tremendously.

This appears to have been reported previously (PR 687 refers to 1.2b11 on AIX),
 but is still present in 1.2.0. Proxy cache directory does have owner/group
set to the owner/group of the httpd proces, as mentioned in PR 687.
>How-To-Repeat:
It seems to happen mostly if the proxy request fails for some reason
(connection timeout, client aborting request etc.)
>Fix:
To alleviate the problem, I added a simple hack to src/modules/proxy/proxy_cache.c
so it remembers the name of the last tmp* file it created, and unlink's it just
before creating the next tmp* file. This appears to reduce the number of tmp*
files left behind, but a few are still there - probably due to the process being
reaped when idle, and not deleting the file in that case. E-mail me if you want
the diff