www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com>
Subject Re: config/781: Certain Browsers cannot access multiple virtualhosts configured w/same ip address
Date Wed, 25 Jun 1997 15:50:01 GMT
The following reply was made to PR config/781; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
To: Jose de Leon <jadiel@thevision.net>
Subject: Re: config/781: Certain Browsers cannot access multiple virtualhosts configured w/same
ip address
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 1997 09:44:06 -0600 (MDT)

 On Tue, 24 Jun 1997, Jose de Leon wrote:

 > Try:  www.modestoathletics.com, www.cimaged.com, cimaged.com,
 > www.alsfurniture.com, www.modesto-horology.com
 >
 > The web server IP is 204.216.26.8, DNS server is 204.216.26.2
 >
 > Currently, www.modestoathletics.com, www.alsfurniture.com,
 > www.modesto-horology.com have DNS A records to 204.216.26.8.
 >
 > modestoathletics.com, alsfurniture.com, modesto-horology.com have DNS A
 > records to their respective virtual IP in order listed: 204.216.26.38,
 > 204.216.26.40, 204.216.26.30.
 >
 > www.cimaged.com (my testing case) has DNS A record to 204.216.26.45 (its
 > virtual IP). cimaged.com also has DNS A record to 204.216.26.45.
 >
 > Below is the virtual settings from httpd.conf.  Attached are all my *.conf
 > files.

 As documented in many places, non-IP virtual hosting (using the same IP
 address and the Host: header) does not work with old browsers because they
 don't send it.  You are not dedicating an IP to each www.<x>.com, so
 Apache has no choice but to use non-IP virtual hosting which does not work
 with older clients.

 If you want Apache to use IP-based virtual hosting, which works with older
 clients, then you need to give each domain a seperate IP.  Having a
 seperate IP for <x>.com does nothing for www.<x>.com, which is what you
 are telling the webserver to use.