www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Forrest Houston <fhous...@east.isi.edu>
Subject config/873: status report not working on local machine
Date Wed, 16 Jul 1997 14:10:02 GMT

>Number:         873
>Category:       config
>Synopsis:       status report not working on local machine
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Priority:       medium
>Responsible:    apache (Apache HTTP Project)
>State:          open
>Class:          sw-bug
>Submitter-Id:   apache
>Arrival-Date:   Wed Jul 16 07:10:01 1997
>Originator:     fhouston@east.isi.edu
>Release:        1.2.0
Solaris 2.5.1
Whenever I try to access the http://web.domain/status/. page on the machine that 
apache is running on I get a 403 Forbidden error.  It works fine from other 
machines in the same domain though.

Here is the relevant line from the error log:
[Wed Jul 16 09:17:37 1997] access to /export/home/www/doc/status failed for local,
 reason: Client denied by server configuration

Here are the lines from the access_log:
remote.domain - - [16/Jul/1997:08:53:34 -0400] "GET /status/. HTTP/1.0" 200 2027
local - - [16/Jul/1997:08:55:44 -0400] "GET /status/. HTTP/1.0" 403 154

Here is the listing from access.conf where the server status is setup:
<Location /status>
SetHandler server-status
<Limit GET>
order deny,allow
deny from all
allow from .domain

Here are somethings from httpd.conf that might be of interest
Originally all I had was:
ServerName web.domain

Then, as described below, I tried a couple of things and ended up with:
BindAddress web.domain
ServerName local.domain
<VirtualHost web.domain>
ServerAdmin webmaster@domain
DocumentRoot /export/home/www/doc
ServerName web.domain
rrorLog logs/error_log
TransferLog logs/access_log


When I was first writing this I noticed that the remote machine reported the 
domain info whereas the local machine didn't.  I have a feeling that this is
the cause of the problem.  I'm working with the book "How to Set Up and Maintain
a WEb Site" 2E by Lincoln D. Stein.  I read through the section on virtual hosts,
(p108 if you have access to the book) since I didn't have that configured originally.
I tried the virtual host first and that didn't work.  Next I  tried using the 
BindAddress, and that didn't help either.  I'm still getting the same errors as 

I guess what I need is someway to have the domain info reported along with the 
machine name when I'm accessing the server locally.  It really isn't so important
on the status page, however I'm limiting access to a couple of different directories
based on the same principle (limiting it to a specfic domain).  For those it is
more important that I be able to access them from the local machine.

I dug around a bit in the FAQ and the core features list.  I either couldn't find
anything that answered this, or I overlooked it.  There seems to be a lot of 
info about virtual hosts and aliasing.  However, I'm not trying to run a lot
of servers on this machine, so even though I tried it, I don't think virtual
hosts are the solution to my problem.  I just want the machine to be called one
thing and the web server on it accessed through another name.

Please contact me if you need more info about this.

Thanks for the help/info
Forrest Houston

View raw message