www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: protocol/875: force-response-1.0 bug
Date Wed, 16 Jul 1997 20:10:01 GMT
The following reply was made to PR protocol/875; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Dean Gaudet <dgaudet@arctic.org>
To: Mark Herman II <turbodog@cajun.net>
Subject: Re: protocol/875: force-response-1.0 bug
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 13:02:06 -0700 (PDT)

 On Wed, 16 Jul 1997, Mark Herman II wrote:

 > telnet into www.jcount.com port 80, and type the following:
 > GET /cgi-bin/counter2.cgi?secondary_exposure=true&increment=false&counter_id=30
HTTP/1.1
 > Host: www.jcount.com

 You are making an HTTP/1.1 request.  If you were truly emulating what the
 browser was doing then you'd probably be making an HTTP/1.0 request and
 including the useragent.  The force-response-1.0 does not change the
 response except for the HTTP/1.0 200 OK piece.  The rest of the response
 is valid in the dialect that the request was in.

 The HTTP/x.y part of the response is NOT an indication of the dialect of
 the response.

 Apache's response to an HTTP/1.0 request is valid HTTP/1.0.  Apache's
 resposne to an HTTP/1.0 request with force-response-1.0 is valid 1.0.
 Apache's response to an HTTP/1.1 request with force-response-1.0 is
 undefined, and as you've pointed out, invalid 1.0.  But I doubt we'll be
 fixing that, since no 1.1 client should ever need force-resposne-1.0.

 Dean