www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From David MacKenzie <...@va.pubnix.com>
Subject general/877: apache dies if name servers become unreachable
Date Thu, 17 Jul 1997 16:40:03 GMT

>Number:         877
>Category:       general
>Synopsis:       apache dies if name servers become unreachable
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
In apache 1.2.0, code was added to http_main.c:default_server_hostnames()
that dies if it can't resolve ServerName.  It also uses the value of
gethostbyname on that name to initialize the list of virtual addresses
for the main server.  We run around 1000 apache servers for various customers, many of whom
have DNS that we don't control.
Some of them change their DNS to point to servers other than ours for awhile, or their name
servers become unreachable periodically (like today, when the root name servers became corrupted).
We specify BindAddress to force the IP address; we don't want ServerName used for that, because
it's unreliable.  And apache should not die when there's a name server problem!  We don't
want to set ServerName to an IP address because that would make redirects and imagemaps ugly
for users of all our servers.
>How-To-Repeat:
In httpd.conf, put
ServerName foo.xyz
BindAddress a-valid-ipaddr-on-the-machine
>Fix:
If BindAddress is given, ServerName should be used just textually,
and not resolved