www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Niels <ni...@holding.pi.net>
Subject Re: os-linux/788: (1) mod_dld doensn't compile. (2) Virtual hosting is broken in certain circumstances
Date Sat, 19 Jul 1997 23:31:01 GMT
On Sat, 19 Jul 1997 dgaudet@hyperreal.org wrote:

> There's nothing the server can do if the client passes it a
> hostname of just "web" rather than a fully-qualified hostname.
> It can't guess the information ... if you want to support unqualified
> names then you could use ServerAlias.

If the client doesn't pass any Host: header it gets the wrong index.html -
that's the problem.

(telnet to port 80, GET / HTTP/1.0 Enter twice)

I don't want support for unqualified hostnames; I would like the old
Apache behaviour back where it would look at the interface address, as I
thought it was meant to be.

Again, it may have been a broken setup at my end but I do not believe so..
server-status shows that Apache attaches the real virtual_host to it but
fails to get the real index.html somehow.