www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Christ Leijtens <leijt...@mediaport.org>
Subject os-osf/1371: Apache 1.2.x and 1.3b2 report error message to client when run from xinetd
Date Thu, 06 Nov 1997 14:13:40 GMT

>Number:         1371
>Category:       os-osf
>Synopsis:       Apache 1.2.x and 1.3b2 report error message to client when run from xinetd
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
Running Apache releases 1.2.x and 1.3b2 on a DEC Alpha running OSF1 results
in error messages directly passed to the client (Netscape):

    longjmp or siglongjmp function used outside of saved context

at moments this problems occurs continuously at other times I have hard time
reproducing the error message. It also seems only to occur in "inetd"-mode and
not when running as server-type "standalone". Although I am not sure about this.

One other person "jorias@massive.de" reported exactly this same problem in news
group "comp.infosystems.servers.unix" some month ago. I have contacted him two
times. The first time he said the solution was downloading the most recent
release. For us this was beta release 1.3b2 as we were already running
production release 1.2.4. This was without success. My second question to
Alexander Jorrias was to ask him which release and in which mode he had
the Apache-daemon running. I did not get a response yet.
>How-To-Repeat:
Sometimes the problems shows up very regular. A sample web site is:

    http://mv1.spirit.nl/
>Fix:
I have consulted manual pages for longjmp() and consorts where there is a
description of undefined behavior of siglongjmp() under two circumstances.
This is the documentation on the DEC UNIX/OSF1 man pages. It looks like the
exact message received in Netscape is from longjmperror(). As I cannot look
at the sources of this function and the man page for longjmperror(3) is
missing in my installation