www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Scott Hollatz <sholl...@d.umn.edu>
Subject mod_proxy/1635: ProxyPass doesn't serve files with extensions
Date Wed, 07 Jan 1998 17:18:38 GMT

>Number:         1635
>Category:       mod_proxy
>Synopsis:       ProxyPass doesn't serve files with extensions
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Release:        1.2.5
>Environment:
running on:
SunOS pubinfo.d.umn.edu 5.5.1 Generic_103640-12 sun4m sparc SUNW,SPARCstation-20
compiled on:
SunOS ub.d.umn.edu 5.5.1 Generic_103640-12 sun4d sparc SUNW,SPARCcenter-2000

(tested on 1.2.4 and 1.2.5)

Suppose the proxy server is http://xyz.com.

In httpd.conf put:

        ProxyPass /foo/bar http://www.d.umn.edu/cgi-bin

then  http://xyz.com/foo/bar/test points to http://www.d.umn.edu/cgi-bin/test
without error.

But URLs such as http://xyz.com/foo/bar/test.x fail, stating there is no
such URL. This is displayed on the browser window and the error_log states
there is no such file on the remote server, which is false.

In general, I found that any proxy pass request for anything ending in an
extension (.html, .cgi, .x, ...) fail, those items _not_ ending in an
extension succeed.
>How-To-Repeat:
Add to httpd.conf:  ProxyPass /foo/bar http://www.d.umn.edu/is/webdev
then try to get /foo/bar/umdjava.html .  This should return the document
http://www.d.umn.edu/is/webdev/umdjava.html, which exists.  However, an error
is generated.