www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Roman Maeder <mae...@mathconsult.ch>
Subject os-solaris/1646: Compile fails if /usr/ucb is on PATH during compile and /usr/ucbinclude exists.
Date Sat, 10 Jan 1998 10:54:46 GMT

>Number:         1646
>Category:       os-solaris
>Synopsis:       Compile fails if /usr/ucb is on PATH during compile and /usr/ucbinclude
exists.
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
First, this is NOT a bug in Apache, but a peculiarity in Sun's compiler driver
that makes it appear as if the sources cannot compile cleanly.
If during "make" the user's PATH includes /usr/ucb, then the compiler puts
/usr/ucbinclude ahead of /usr/include on the -I path and links with dynamic
libraries from /usr/ucblib. The result are a few compile problems that can
be fixed, or so it seems (I can give details, if you wish). The resulting
binary will not run correctly, however; most notable are mangled fancy
directory listings, probably caused by /usr/ucbinclude/sys/dir.h vs.
/usr/include/sys/dirent.h (the first two characters of every file name are
missing, and other formatting problems).

The resulting binary will have /usr/ucblib/libucb.so.? linked in.
If compiled correctly, no /usr/ucb/lib stuff should be there.
>How-To-Repeat:
prepend /usr/ucb to your PATH, then "make"
>Fix:
Mention this problem in the INSTALL docs. Admins using C 4.2 should make
sure that /usr/ucb is not on their path, but /opt/SUNWspro/bin is, so
"cc" can be found. After compile, do a "ldd httpd" and make sure that no
/usr/ucblib stuff is there.
%0