www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Ron O'Hara <r...@sentuny.com.au>
Subject apache-api/1653: Conflict of routine 'palloc' name/parameters with other software (PostgreSQL)
Date Mon, 12 Jan 1998 04:18:01 GMT

>Number:         1653
>Category:       apache-api
>Synopsis:       Conflict of routine 'palloc' name/parameters with other software (PostgreSQL)
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
I'm writing a user module for apache that is using the PostgreSQL 6.2.1 C
client api. This API has a routine called 'palloc'. The Apache server has it's
own routine called 'palloc'. The routines have different parameters.
The name conflict needs to be removed - I have submitted a Bug report to the
postgres team, and will modify the Apache code as a workaround, but the same
problem could easily occur with Apache routines which use common names and other
ill behaved product API's (Oracle ?).

>How-To-Repeat:
Add the Postgres #include 'libpq-fe.h' to the start of 'mod_usertrack'.
>Fix:
--- partial solution to namespace conflicts (common routines only) ---
Change the internal name of Apache's palloc routine to 'ap_palloc' [a very
non-standard name] and change 'alloc.h' to #define palloc to refer to the
'ap_palloc' routine if USE_AP_PALLOC is not defined.
IE.
#ifndef USE_AP_PALLOC
#define palloc(a,b) ap_alloc(a,b)
#endif

(The same is needed for 'pcalloc', 'pstrdup', 'pstrndup' and 'pstrcat')

Impact of change is reduced to the 'alloc.c' and 'alloc.h' routines (plus any naughty
routines that dont have a #include 'alloc.h' but still use 'palloc')

This allows a developer of a user module to utilise other tools which want
to supply their own 'palloc' routine and still have access to the core Apache
routines via their real internal names.
%0