www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com>
Subject Re: os-other/1654: fails to fork off a cgi
Date Mon, 12 Jan 1998 15:40:01 GMT
The following reply was made to PR os-other/1654; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
To: Michael Shalayeff <mickey@openbsd.org>
Cc: apbugs@hyperreal.org
Subject: Re: os-other/1654: fails to fork off a cgi
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 1998 08:23:23 -0700 (MST)

 On 12 Jan 1998, Michael Shalayeff wrote:

 > >How-To-Repeat:
 > run apache for a busy site with a lot of cgi calls, hits and vhosts under
 > openbsd, experience 'unable to spaw child process' messages

 Erm... I'm not really sure why it should be necessary to retry forking.
 If it fails once, then it is probably due to limits such as the number of
 file descriptors or processes.  The answer is to fix the limitation, not
 to keep retrying until you can work around it.  Have you looked at doing
 this?

 Any OS that requires trying multiple times for no reason before it works
 would be very broken...