www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Paul Sutton <p...@eu.c2.net>
Subject Re: mod_log-any/1645: Tabs in CustomLog format converted to space s in log file
Date Sat, 10 Jan 1998 18:14:18 GMT
On Fri, 9 Jan 1998, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
> This is not an area that should be patched.  Whitespace in the
> config file is whitespace, and gets collapsed to single spaces.
> What's broken is that "\t" (among others) doesn't work in
> CustomLog and LogFormat directives.

No, I think that this is exactly the right place to fix this problem. We
shouldn't be collapsing white space within quoted strings. Unfortunately
the cfg_* reading functions are a bit of a mess -- cfg_getline() collapses
all the whitespace (ignoring quoting) then the getword functions start
spitting out words, taking account of quoting (and \-escapes). If we
update getline to know about quoting (and \-escapes) then there are two
separate bits of code essentially doing the same thing. Perhaps getline
should not collapse anything, then getword does all the
whitespace-skipping as necessary?

//pcs