www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Kevin Goddard <kgodd...@comstar.net>
Subject os-linux/1914: Apache swallows system resources until server locks up.
Date Wed, 04 Mar 1998 18:41:42 GMT

>Number:         1914
>Category:       os-linux
>Synopsis:       Apache swallows system resources until server locks up.
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
When I start up apache 1.2.5 it seems to run fine for a few minutes, then the entire server
starts to get slower and slower.  If I watch the uptime on the server, it starts
to climb higher and higher (if I do not kill httpd the machine will eventually lock solid).

It does not spawn more then 100 servers, and usually sits between 92 and 96.  The server gets
a lot
of traffic, usually around 100,000 unique hits day.  The only optional module I have complied
in is the
rewrite module (which I need) and the status module.	I watched a TOP session
and noticed that the initial httpd will get up to 99% server utilization.
>How-To-Repeat:
Becuase of the severity, I changed back to my 1.1.3 version.
>Fix:
Nop