www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Rich Kloempken <rich_kloemp...@quakeroats.com>
Subject general/1923: Parent httpd process starts as root and does not switch to designated user, but children do
Date Sun, 08 Mar 1998 23:09:20 GMT

>Number:         1923
>Category:       general
>Synopsis:       Parent httpd process starts as root and does not switch to designated
user, but children do
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
The httpd.conf file specifies a user and group to run httpd once started. httpd is started
as root.  Upon performing a ps, 7 httpd daemons are running with 6 being children of the intial
httpd daemon.  The 6 children httpd daemons show as being owned by the user specified in the
httpd.conf file,  However, the parent httpd daemon is still owned by root as is now an orphan
of init (pid 1).

Is this normal behavior?  I was under the impression, from reading the doc, that all instances
(daemons) would switch to being owned by the user specified in the httpd.conf file.
>How-To-Repeat:
Possibly on a HP-UX 10.20 system