www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: mod_log-any/2026: Max log file size is 2,147,483,616 (2^31 - 32) bytes
Date Wed, 01 Apr 1998 23:10:01 GMT
The following reply was made to PR mod_log-any/2026; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Dean Gaudet <dgaudet@arctic.org>
To: Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
Cc: apbugs@apache.org, Rob Mela <Rob_Mela@zd.com>
Subject: Re: mod_log-any/2026: Max log file size is 2,147,483,616 (2^31 - 32) bytes
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 1998 13:53:08 -0800 (PST)

 On 1 Apr 1998, Marc Slemko wrote:

 >  1.2.x shouldn't take that long to get up to speed iff your StartServers is
 >  high enough; if not, then it will because it will only start a new process
 >  once every second.  1.3 does exponential spawning, so behaves much better
 >  under such situations.

 After a SIGUSR1 1.2 will come back to speed very quickly -- it does a
 one-for-one respawn for every child that exits until it meets up with the
 StartServers.  It can be really quick.

 >  There is a rotatelogs in the support directory that can run from a pipe,
 >  but it looks a bit pokey for high volumes and you still have potential
 >  issues with piped logs and 1.2.  In 1.3, using piped logs is really a very
 >  good solution and is very reliable and flexible.

 At 90 hits/s I bet it'd run into the pipe-size buffer limitation... I've
 been meaning to write a socketpair() patch so that we can crank the buffer
 up to 64k or something.

 Dean