www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From o..@ovb.ch (Oliver von Bueren)
Subject Re: config/2005: Incorrect Virtual Servers
Date Thu, 09 Apr 1998 20:40:01 GMT
The following reply was made to PR config/2005; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: ovb@ovb.ch (Oliver von Bueren)
To: Dean Gaudet <dgaudet@arctic.org>
Cc: al@shatz.co.uk, apbugs@Apache.Org
Subject: Re: config/2005: Incorrect Virtual Servers
Date: Thu, 09 Apr 1998 20:38:51 GMT

 >On your webserver machine, try this:
 >% telnet ntinternals.ovb.ch 80
 >% telnet ntinternals.mhs.ch 80
 >and make sure that it does get the same IP address for both -- maybe
 >there's something wrong with the DNS on that server which is causing
 >ntinternals.ovb.ch to have the wrong IP address.=20

 DNS is ok, points for all hosts to .145. BUT if found what the problem
 caused on my host. I have the lookup order in my host.conf as follows:

 hosts
 bind

 and in the hosts there was the "wrong" ip address entered. The address
 there was .144, which is the primary address for this machine (FreeBSD
 2.1.7 by the way). The DNS has .145, which all the other mentioned
 vhost have too.=20

 >(I'm still looking for other possibilities.)
 I still see it as a strange behavor in Apache 1.2.6 and definitly
 different that 1.2.5. The .144 is a valid address for this host and
 Apache does listen to that IP too. Another very strange this is, that
 if I make a request to the IP address itself, http://195.65.24.144, I
 don't end up at www.ovb.ch, but the default page for that IP address,
 which is not a virtual host but the "global" page as defined by
 ServerRoot outside any VirtualHost. So if Apache only checks
 VirtualHosts for .144, it shoud have returned the main documents for
 the server and not www.ovb.ch.

 I hope you can follow my thoughts.

        Cheers,
        Oliver

  =A6 Oliver von Bueren                                        ovb@ovb.ch =
 =A6
  =A6 Schlierenstr. 42                                         www.ovb.ch =
 =A6
  =A6 8142 Uitikon                                            Switzerland =
 =A6
  =A6 VoicePhone: ++41-1-4958181                                          =
 =A6
  =A6 Attention: TimeZone GMT+1 -> VoiceCalls only 09.00-21.00 local time =
 =A6