www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Eli Marmor <mar...@elmar.co.il>
Subject protocol/2056: No OS name in SERVER_VERSION - 1.3 must have, because now Apache is multi-platform
Date Fri, 10 Apr 1998 15:13:58 GMT

>Number:         2056
>Category:       protocol
>Synopsis:       No OS name in SERVER_VERSION - 1.3 must have, because now Apache is multi-platform
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
Well, it is not really a bug... but I think it is going to be
important, beginning by 1.3:

SERVER_VERSION (defined in httpd.h) contains the server name which
is returned in the header given to clients. This header helps to
know what web server and operating system are run by the site, and
brought netcraft to rate Apache as the leading web server, with more
installations than all the rest, TOGETHER. In addition, since Apache
was available (before 1.3) only under UNIX, NCSA the same, MS-IIS
only under NT/95, etc., netcraft could ESTIMATE the percent of UNIX
sites, NT/95 sites, MAC sites, etc. (well, the headers of Netscape
servers didn't tell anything about the operating system, but you
could still have a good estimation by the other web-servers).

Beginning by Apache 1.3, this becomes impossible. Since Apache 1.3
(and up) will be available for NT/95 (as well as UNIX and OS/2), it
will not be possible to do these surveys, and an important source
for information will be missed. In addition, having the numbers of
NT/95 installations of Apache vs. UNIX installations etc., will
allow us to know where to focus the efforts of developing Apache.

My "wish": Please add (before the final 1.3!) the name of the
operating system (or at least "UNIX" / "NT" / "OS/2") to the
definition of SERVER_VERSION.
>How-To-Repeat:
By requesting the following from any Apache server:
HEAD / HTTP/1.0
>Fix:
Of course: Insert the SERVER_VERSION definition in httpd.h into
"#ifdef"s per each platform, and mention the OS name in each definition
(e.g. "UNIX", "NT/95", "OS/2)