www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Peter Tillemans <...@pandora.be>
Subject os-windows/2178: Apache locks up on repeated request of same page (HTML, not CGI!)
Date Sun, 03 May 1998 22:46:32 GMT

>Number:         2178
>Category:       os-windows
>Synopsis:       Apache locks up on repeated request of same page (HTML, not CGI!)
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
Test Envronment :
-----------------
platform : see above
- index.html file in document root
- Socrates test tool configured to get this file. Various settings on number of
threads make no difference.

Repeating to get the same page using the multithreaded pounder locks the server
 process. Apparently connections stay open. On my machine this happens when the
pages/sec > 12, using 5 client threads. Typically after 300-600 requests.

The server process gets killed by "Ma" who starts a new one, which locks up,
gets killed by Ma, ... , well, you know : you guys wrote it ;-).

I found this with 1.3b5, 1.3b6 binary release, 1.3b6 recompiled.

This problem was introduced in 1.3b5. Apache 1.3b3 does not exhibit this. I
pushed it using 45 threads getting 70 pages/sec. I let it run to > 50000 pages :
no glitch, still same server process.

If you need more details, I'll be happy to try to accomodate.

I have setup CVS and can track the CVS tree if this is helpful to give feedback
if needed.

regards,

Peter Tillemans

BTW : Socrates web test tool can be found at www.morphtech.com. It is postcard-ware
and a test version is freely available.
>How-To-Repeat:
see above.
>Fix:
Revert to 1.3b3 with CGI filehadle leak fixed :-(.
That's how I "fixed" it.