www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From br...@hyperreal.org
Subject Re: suexec/1001: Potential group security hole with suexec
Date Wed, 20 May 1998 04:48:28 GMT

Synopsis: Potential group security hole with suexec

State-Changed-From-To: open-closed
State-Changed-By: brian
State-Changed-When: Tue May 19 21:48:27 PDT 1998
State-Changed-Why:
yeah, better never than late, eh?  :)

To be honest I don't see the security hole present here.
The whole point of suexec is to put the same protections
around the CGI that Unix puts around its users.  A poorly
written and exploitable CGI, under suexec, can do as much
damage to the OS as the user whose userid it runs under can
also do.  This is not a chroot jail and doesn't try to be.

If we were to implement a warning or check, chances are the
volume of bug reports we'd get about it would overwhelm us,
as everyone testing "suexec" for the first time will be someone
who has wheel group membership (etc.) since they had to become
root to install suexec.

Thanks for the note, though, it was good food for thought.