www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From c...@hyperreal.org
Subject Re: general/2199: couldn't start apache webserver using apachectl
Date Sun, 24 May 1998 14:26:55 GMT

Synopsis: couldn't start apache webserver using apachectl

State-Changed-From-To: open-feedback
State-Changed-By: coar
State-Changed-When: Sun May 24 07:26:54 PDT 1998
State-Changed-Why:
I don't think I understand what aspects of the documentation
you feel are deficient.  You *do* need to set your server's
ServerName directive.  Running the server as root is a
very very very bad idea.  You must be running with
superuser authority in order to use apachectl to start
and stop the server; a permission problem would seem
to indicate that you're not root when you tried to start
the server.