www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Lou Langholtz <...@chpc.utah.edu>
Subject general/2281: Setting ScriptAlias confounds lock_fname resulting in server that wont start
Date Mon, 25 May 1998 21:32:41 GMT

>Number:         2281
>Category:       general
>Synopsis:       Setting ScriptAlias confounds lock_fname resulting in server that wont
start
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
With 1.3b6 built with:

        --enable-module=status \
        --enable-module=info \
        --enable-module=proxy \
        --enable-module=rewrite \
        --enable-module=auth_anon \
        --enable-module=auth_dbm \
        --enable-module=digest \
        --enable-module=expires \
        --enable-module=mime_magic \
        --enable-module=speling \
        --enable-module=usertrack \
        --enable-module=so \

if I set ScriptAlias (to an existing directory) and start the server with
the apachectl script, the server starts up and then exits seemingly before
being done reading all its config files. The error log reports:

open: No such file or directory
Cannot open lock file:

The only code I can find that ever outputs this message is in src/main/http_main.c
and it also outputs ap_lock_fname (in the second line), which as seen above is
empty. I haven't traced down exactly what it's set to (ie. null, empty string,
or spaces-only).

At first I thought the problem was my introduction of suexec into the
configure options. I finally realized that uncommenting the setting
of ScriptAlias caused it. When I comment it back out again the server runs.

This seems serious if anybody else can reproduce this problem since it
makes the server un-runnable.
>How-To-Repeat:
Has anybody seen this problem already? I'd think it's either easily
reproduced using the same C compiler and OS by commenting in & out the
ScriptAlias directive or else it's something completely screwy that I've
goofed on.
>Fix:
The interaction between setting ScriptAlias and lock_fname appears
impossible since I can't find any code that deliberately links the
two. I'd guess the problem's either in memory management then or
something that I'm doing that's completely screwy.